Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > General

Old 10-09-2014, 01:34 AM
FantasyNut

Not Sure What to Do...

First: I hope this was the right forum to put this in.
Anyway...
...I had a little background here that ended up being a brick wall. So I took the rather long TLDR and used that instead. I should just put my personal story in the my space or something. Oh well. Thanks all in advance for your help

TLDR: After certain events transpired earlier this year, I had a complete meltdown and worked it out. As I got closer to starting school again (I'm 20 and dropped out of my 2nd year, spring semester, at one university and transferred in to another this fall). I am definitely switching to a philosophy major from an ENG major, which I was never sure of in the first place (it was just easy to pick with my school background of math and science). What I don't know is if instead, I actually want to drop university after this semester (I like the classes I have now, but may drop the math one--I'm sick of math and science classes at school) and instead enroll at, preferably, an herbal school (I have been getting more and more interested in spending more and more time in nature and working with it partially being in an attempt to grow more spiritually by connecting with nature) or a general alternative health school (of which I actually have one in mind). I am also experiencing some trepidation about telling my parents as I know they will not take the news lightly or in a good way at all (esp. option #2).

Extra TLDR: Philosophy major or Herbalism/"Alternative" Health? How do I deal with my own fear of bringing this in front of my parents?

Honestly, I have my own thought of what I should do, but that fear of ridicule and possibly getting cast out may be holding me in place. I want to see what everyone has to say first though. I look forward to hearing from everybody.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:47 AM
Deactivated Account

Well, they will probably be bloody upset. But that's life. Your just going to have face your emotions head on and face them. Trust me, in life you will probably be faced with much more challenging life experiences and emotions than your parents melting down. See your confession to them as a preparation for handling difficult confrontations to come in the future.

So ....just tell them. If your passionate about your choice, stick to your guns.

At the end of the day you have to make you happy.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 AM
FantasyNut

Thanks for the reply. As for the choice, it's kind of funny how putting a dilemma out in the open sometimes results in a more concrete decision/answer soon after. I'll probably stick to the four year and do some self teaching (<3 Internet). Plenty of time after I do that and move out to do what I want.

At any rate, I still expect to get a few rather aggressively worded (although well intended) questions from my dad about the "usefulness" of the degree. But it is something I'll have to do.

Thanks again
Old 17-09-2014, 08:19 PM
DrCannonfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyNut
Thanks for the reply. As for the choice, it's kind of funny how putting a dilemma out in the open sometimes results in a more concrete decision/answer soon after. I'll probably stick to the four year and do some self teaching (<3 Internet). Plenty of time after I do that and move out to do what I want.

At any rate, I still expect to get a few rather aggressively worded (although well intended) questions from my dad about the "usefulness" of the degree. But it is something I'll have to do.

Thanks again

I think that's a really good idea. I'm currently looking at maybe studying alternative medicine, but I finished more conventional academic degrees a decade ago. I think having a non-controversial background is always handy -- it's something to fall back on if things don't go to plan. I imagine most employers would look kinder upon a philosophy degree than one in (say) acupuncture or TCM.

Of course, that's not to say one is 'better' than the other.

Philosophy is a great choice, by the way. My first degree was a joint major - philosophy and religious studies - and I still think of philosophy as one of the things that has really given my life personal meaning. Learning how to think is an amazing benefit to pretty much everything else we do.
Old 19-09-2014, 12:31 AM
FantasyNut

I'm glad to hear that about the philosophy degree. It matches pretty much everything I've read on other forums that wasn't someone just saying it's worthless. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the curriculum.

Not to mention, the thinking is a huge reason I figured I may as well go for it. My background through high school was extremely math/science oriented, but much of it was really more, "do this in this situation"...with the exception of physics, although I think I was also lucky to have the same awesome teacher in at least one class each of the four years.

I also think that studying philosophy and participating in the classes will help me figure out how to verbalize my thoughts better. Whether they're pictures or zipping around as words, the moment I try to verbalize my thoughts *poof*, can't do it.

And thanks for the thought about the fallback. Like my dad keeps telling me, "Don't burn any bridges."

And Good Luck with the alternative medicine studies.