Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Quotes & Stories

Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Master

Cell Phone Zombies

On Christmas day we had my husband's family over. After a few hours my husband had to take his father back to the assisted living place that he resides. While he was gone we were all sitting in the living room talking. We are talking about two 48 year old men, one 45 year old woman, one eleven year old boy a 16 year old boy and a thirteen year old girl.

So the 11 year old boy pulls out his cell phone (smart phone) and starts playing something. One by one all of the other people mentioned above pulled out their phones and they started Facebooking back and forth. Not talking, not interacting personally, we are talking Facebook.

Now my question is do you think we are a wee bit obsessed with cell phones and other media tools? Sure, I have a smart phone too, but I don't use it unless I am going out somewhere and it is mostly for research (the internet). I've told my people not to leave messages on my cell phone because I just don't carry it around with me very often. It sits on the counter, mostly on the charger unless I am going out somewhere.

And then the next question. Say you are having lunch with a friend. Do you think it is rude for them to answer their cell phone and hold a conversation (non emergency or children at home related) while ignoring you?

I see cell phone zombies where ever I go.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Gracey

I see them too. Over the summer I was at a bonfire with a bunch of people who all were on their cells phones. I don't own one, so I spoke about it. They all put them away and everyone started interacting with each other again. I just don't get it. Especially those text messages.

I think it is rude if you are with someone at lunch per se and one person is on the cell phone. If it was me and they would rather be on the phone, i would get up leave.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
I think it is rude if you are with someone at lunch per se and one person is on the cell phone. If it was me and they would rather be on the phone, i would get up leave.

Yeah, me too! People can't even walk down the street without talking or texting on their phones.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Ecthalion

When I worked as a postman I delivered daily to a school. I used to get so annoyed at young women who were walking their child or children to school and ignoring them whilst they chatted or texted on their mobiles.

Technology, for all its advantages, is the bane of modern life.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracey
I see them too. Over the summer I was at a bonfire with a bunch of people who all were on their cells phones. I don't own one, so I spoke about it. They all put them away and everyone started interacting with each other again. I just don't get it. Especially those text messages.

I would have loved to have asked them to put their cell phones away at the Christmas get-together, but my husband's children barely accept me as it is. To make waves would cause hostility again and I really don't want that for the sake of my husband.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecthalion
When I worked as a postman I delivered daily to a school. I used to get so annoyed at young women who were walking their child or children to school and ignoring them whilst they chatted or texted on their mobiles.

Technology, for all its advantages, is the bane of modern life.

I see this all the time while shopping. The child is ignored and the mother is either texting or chatting on her cell phone.

Why is it so important that people have be in contact with friends 24/7 (well almost)?

I think there might be some psychological deficiency that makes them feel wanted/loved/important/desired. Or is it just that their self esteem is so low? If that is the case then it is a worldwide problem.

Someone explain this to me please.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Pathfinder

I am kind of a cell phone zombie, to be honest. But I know when to leave it in my bag, so I'm only a zombie when I know it's appropriate (i.e. in the train or bus) and not while people are talking to me or during class.

Although sometimes I have these moments where I'm alone and suddenly remember something funny and I can't stop myself from laughing. That could look pretty weird so then I grab my phone and pretend I'm reading something funny or even call someone so people think that I'm just having a funny conversation. It's silly, really.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:11 AM
truestudentoflife

I still have a flip phone. And I don't text. By choice.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Master

It's the same thing computer nerds would do before the internet became big.. their social life was on the computer. To me it seems anti social. And now research is showing that to be true. The more people use social media the less social they become.

People will become less social, and the 'virtual world' will replace reality. Internet, etc will integrate with the human body, and basically we'll live in something similar to a Neuromancer world.

Personally I don't do it because I don't want the world knowing about my personal life. People give it away without a thought these days, hence the acceptance of government spying we see today. So in addition to a Neuromancer world it will be more and more like a 1984 world as well. Thought crimes.

You never see kids outside playing anymore. It's sad.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Kpastelle

I think this will pass...l