Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 17-07-2012, 04:28 PM
Pathfinder

Scientology

Hey Everyone, just curious on all your thoughts regarding Scientology? I've been hearing more about it in the media and although I don't know much about it, I'm curious what you all think?

Any thoughts on the matter?
Old 17-07-2012, 04:33 PM
NetSeeker

I'm a great lover of documentaries and whenever I come across one on this group I make sure to see it. So far I have seen little to no qualities about their organization that makes me want to join it or suggest to others that they join it.

To each their own, of course. I wouldn't join any organized religion, for the record. I don't feel I need someone else to tell me how to believe
Old 17-07-2012, 05:00 PM
amy green

If you check out Wikipedia's link on scientology it provides enough of an overview/appraisal of this cult. It lists its practices and also its more sinister side (that has now become public knowledge).
Old 17-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Deactivated Account
Scientology...isn't that the one that states women should give birth in total silence

Each to their own but it does have some interesting ideas. I think Tom Cruise is a member if I remember correctly?
Old 17-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Buzz

When I first began searching, I read Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard. Both the bible and the creator of Scientology.
I had no concept of Scientology both as an organization or a modality. I pretty much took the book at face value. It sets out as both a way of looking at mental health and rehabilitation and offers it's own way of addressing the issue.
Quite frankly the book made a lot of sense at the time. It outlines an approach to 'drain' or 'clear' the reactive mind in order for the recipient to live a life outside of unconscious conditioning and behavoural patterns.
They employ meters and gadgets to monitor emotional response during 'auditing' sessions.
Coming from where I was at in those days, I could see a real benefit in addressing this area.
I never pursued Scientology, but I did explore different ways of addressing the the unconscious mind through various groups and approaches.
What I walked away with was that this form of rehabilitation is certainly effective but because of the nature of what it is hoping to conquer, ultimately redundant, as the reactive mind is without limit.
So IMO, the work is as valid as any other approach in this area. The business practices and ethics are another thing again and appear as clique cult tactics in order to secure a position in the self help market place.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:16 PM
EmergingPath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
So IMO, the work is as valid as any other approach in this area. The business practices and ethics are another thing again and appear as clique cult tactics in order to secure a position in the self help market place.
Excellent summary, thanks Buzz!
Old 17-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Master
It all sounds too silly for me.
Old 17-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Buzz

People gravitate to organizations like Scientology because they want to change the way they are. Most of the members are people like you and I who simply got sucked into the machine and are then used to maintain it. One thing that keeps people there is that the group reality bites hard and after a while you can lose your objectivity and viewpoint.

Thank you for the cudos E.P.
Old 17-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Administrator
Have to admit its not something i know a lot about other than it being a cult its not for me,

Namaste
Old 18-07-2012, 04:29 AM
Knower
Here our some quotes Scientology that I pulled off wikipedia...

"Scientology teaches that people are immortal beings who have forgotten their true nature"

"Scientology beliefs revolve around the thetan(soul), the individualized expression of the cosmic source, or life force, named after the Greek letter. The thetan is the true identity of a person – an intrinsically good, omniscient, non-material core capable of unlimited creativity."

"In the primordial past, thetans brought the material universe into being largely for their own pleasure.The universe has no independent reality, but derives its apparent reality from the fact that most thetans agree it exists. Thetans fell from grace when they began to identify with their creation, rather than their original state of spiritual purity. Eventually they lost their memory of their true nature, along with the associated spiritual and creative powers. As a result, thetans came to think of themselves as nothing but embodied beings."

Scientology also believes in reincarnation.

"It is believed that increased spiritual awareness and physical benefits are accomplished through counseling sessions referred to as auditing. Auditing is a one-on-one session with a Scientology counselor or auditor. It bears a superficial similarity to confession or pastoral counseling, but the auditor records and stores all information received and does not dispense forgiveness or advice the way a pastor or priest might do.Instead, the auditor's task is to help a person discover and understand engrams, and their limiting effects, for him- or herself. Most auditing requires an E-meter, a device that measures minute changes in electrical resistance through the body when a person holds electrodes (metal "cans"), and a small current is passed through them. Scientology asserts that watching for changes in the E-meter's display helps locate engrams. Once an area of concern has been identified, the auditor asks the individual specific questions about it, in order to help him or her eliminate the engram, and uses the E-meter to confirm that the engram's "charge" has been dissipated and the engram has in fact been cleared. As the individual progresses, the focus of auditing moves from simple engrams to engrams of increasing complexity."

The above are things that I like about Scientology but here are some things I do not like about it....

"The Church of Scientology believes in the principle of reciprocity, involving give-and-take in every human transaction. Accordingly, members are required to make donations for study courses and auditing as they move up the Bridge, the amounts increasing as higher levels are reached. Participation in higher-level courses on the Bridge may cost several thousand dollars, and Scientologists usually move up the Bridge at a rate governed by their income."

Also there are plenty of controversies surrounding Scientology that can make one question the authenticity and the true motive behind the religion. But at the same time there are plenty of religions out there that have certain things that can be questionable. All in all the choice is up to the person to decide for themselves what they want.