Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Nom

What is EGO?!

Greetings;

Is there anybody knows something about zen or budhist temples in the east? Do they really welcome everybody wants to come in, or are there any requirements?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Bob23

Maybe only 'ego' would ask?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Bob23

Greetings Nom,

I would like to further expand upon my very short reply to your initial post by first explaining that I was somewhat 'rushed' when I typed it. It was, however, to the point and in answer to your title question.

And secondly...I do not know whether there is any qualifying entrance into the particular temples you referred to but I would like to, by way of encouragement, inform you of the great help and support available from the wonderful members who grace this site with there presence.

May I ask, for what reason you are interested in this particular path of Zen?

I have an interest in Zen myself and hope you would appreciate the initial Zen like reply first given.

All the best,

Bob23.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Glorymist

Nom - - if I may ask what is perhaps a *very* ignorant question - - at least from my side of the fence - - because I do not understand at this point - - is this thread about temple requirements ?? Or is it about ego ??

Glory
Old 07-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Nom

Well, actually it is about both of them. In my belief devil reigns in flesh and everything that is material. Thats why I can say ego is the devil itself. It is the 15th card of major arcana, it is eveything that we addict and suffer.
I am interested in eastern philosphy(buddhizm, tao, zen) because of this. I want to get rid of my ego but i dont know if it is possible or not. I am looking for an exit, a way to destroy it. I believe only this way i can be happy. Thats why I am willing to leave everything material behind, but it is very difficult in the world that I live. I mean working, loving someone and life itself. I think in isolation salvation may come. Thats why I am searching about the temples in the east.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:06 PM
dreamer

Hey Nom,

Ego is thinking you know but not knowing...honesty "destroys" ego, when you are being honest you are not claiming to know more than you actually do know. So you see ego is a lie and in truth doesn't exist anyway (in untruth it does though lol)

With regards zen temples, anyone is allowed into the inner sanctuary but only high priests and beggars may make human sacrifices or defacate on the alter (very zen huh), this is what my mate who brothers wifes mums sisters neice was married to the friend of the sister of a temple cleaner told me anyway and i trust his honesty, although the neice is a bit dodgy and sometimes embellishes stories to make herself appear better than she really is cos when she was younger boys teased her (she was a late bloomer) so you can't really blame her. But then again if you defecated on the alter and no one else was around...would you make a smell?? (sorry just being a bit juvenile, made myself laugh though)

Last edited by dreamer : 07-02-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM
angelicious

Dreamer, you made me laugh too, tehehe. Fantastic sense of humour, great to see, Buddha would be pleased.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 AM
deltawaves

Heaps good dreamer, thanks !!! x
Old 19-02-2007, 01:28 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Why is it that people wish to avoid the Ego? It is the most perfectly natural occurance of our physical aspect.. rather than avoid it, understand it.. So many people suggest that the Ego can dominate our physical experience, my experience suggests otherwise.. The Ego is nothing less or more than that which we "choose" to be, the being we want others to know as "who we are".. Now, some people "choose" to deceive with their Egos, project an image not consistent with their true selves.. but, that IS "who they are", deceivers..

The Ego is equally capable of projecting the truth of our spirit, it is our marketing plan, our display of our nature as beings.. issues get sticky when people are rewarded for displaying false images of who they really are, when they gain some perceived benefit based on deception.. but, i feel that each of us sees past the ego of others, we inherently know the truth.. the trouble is that we agree to play the game rather than speak our truth.. we've all observed/experienced the people that we know are pressenting an image that is inconsistent with who they really are, and.. we adjust our Ego's presentation to accomodate the fraud, to let them carry on with their obvious deception.. now, it just gets weird, people know that other people are not being their true selves and by subtle agreement they continue to manuever through this dance of deception.. it happens at almost every level.. even the most truthful among us makes some adjustments for the game.. i'm sure we have all experienced those awkward situations where someone calls another on their deception, the dance is going nicely, then.. someone says to another, "i don't believe you".. it's like the music stops and the dancers all fumble around trying to figure-out the next step..

In the physical manifestation of our individuality we must communicate across time and space with other individuals and the Ego is the tool we use.. it's like the director in a play.. it picks and chooses what aspects of our true nature we display to others.. and, sometimes it fabricates aspects that are not part of our true nature to mitigate situations that we find uncomfortable or to imply a condition about ourselves that might find favor with others.. We cannot avoid Ego, it is how we communicate.. What we can do is to understand it and train it to present our true nature.. in order for our spirit to express itself it must be interpreted by the mind and formulated into action.. action based on acquisition of gain or elevated status, is our choice of using the Ego inappropriately.. it is based on insecurity and the belief that we are lacking.. action based on truth, is secure and acknowledges that the Universe provides ALL that is needed.. Ego that displays false images creates resistance from the conflict of truth vs. image, resistance to the Universe's gifts.. Ego that displays the truth of our nature has no resistance of conflict and the gifts of the Universe are self-evident as they flow into our experiences..

Embrace your Ego, understand it, train it to express the highest truth of "who you are".. That is true freedom.

Be well..
Old 19-02-2007, 02:47 PM
ljepotica

I agree with TzuJanLi.

Excellent post TzuJanLi!!

Firstly before I carry on I would say that I don't know about Zen and although I have full respect for those that follow/suppot it I am not looking to look into it at the moment but if you don't mind I'd just like to tell you what I think...

In the end the important thing is to be honest with yourself as dreamer points out. I would say relax and take things a step at a time-maybe if you go to a certain temple in the east although the conditions may be what you're looking for you might not find it to your taste-or it may take longer that you expected, or on the other hand you might find you've found what you're looking for.

Ego can sometimes be painted in a negative light but I don't really think it's as bad as it's sometimes portrayed...
You can use ego to decieve yourself and others but you can also use it to discover yourself and to be honest if you want to let go of ego you have to find a way that fits with you and that you agree with.

You mention working, loving life and someone else-well you can still live and still do these things mentioned-the difference is that you realise and know what the truth is-you can still love life and still love another and yourself as long as you're balanced and I personally don't think getting rid of ego is the way forward. As TzuJanLi points out you should understand and embrace it for trying to get rid of it is denying it and denial does come back to haunt us at some point.

One of the most fundamental and easiest things you can do is to help others without expecting anything and not bragging about it...when you help others-with good and pure intentions-you humble yourself and get to know yourself-ok ego can come into but ego can come into anything-the difference being that you realise this.
At least you realised about ego and want to change-this is very important as not everybody realises this.

I personally don't have much of a problem concerning ego-yes I do have some of it and yes a small amount of it is selfish but it only plays a small part of who I am but I also have non-selfish egotistical aspects of myself that humble me and to be honest I like it like this...

The best way is basically to find balance and you will be a lot better.

Ok that's all for now!

Take care and lots of love,

S xxxx
Closed Thread