Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 09-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Experiencer
As a rule, I would not think that shamans practice witchcraft. They would usually refer to themselves as something to better show their belief correlations. A shaman is (usually) a very strong spiritual person, someone that can bridge the gap between the sides (physical and spiritual). They offer guidance and advice, and usually have some way to communicate with spirits/fae/etc, and are likely to be knowledgeable in a field of healing or cleansing. The term "shaman" is usually found in non-witchcraft Pagan groups (usually, but not always), while "medicine man" (or woman) is usually found in native societies. They follow much the same line, offering help, healing, communication, guidance and prayer.

That being said, though, be wary of who you trust. A lot of charlatans call themselves "shaman". A fairly good indicator is charging money, particularly large amounts, and promising fulfillment of one form or another. Although, some people may simply need the money, so use your own discretion. And yes, some of them can be bad: tainted shaman, bad medicine men, fallen wise women, etc. You just have to keep a weather eye out, and trust your gut. Your instincts are better than most people realize, and are good indicators.

So, in short, Shamans are not implicitly evil. Although, some ride that fine line like a pony....
Old 22-08-2015, 11:01 PM
Newbie ;)

I think you can trust Shaman, but you need to follow your intuition because you will know if they are good or if they practice something that is unsettling for you. I will disagree about Shaman being only practiced in tribes because from what I have studied and researched that it is not just a Native American concept that different cultures had them. Yes they do spiritual work and cleansing but they also do more.
Old 28-08-2015, 03:59 PM
Master
If it helps you to understand a little more what Shaman may or may not be, I will tell you of what I know of them.
I know two personally, one a Lakota Indian Shaman, the other a Shaman of a Peruvian tribe.
I'm able to see the 'Work' they do when do Shaman things and can tell you that many Angels gather around them when they call for them, which they always do before beginning whatever they are going to do be it Realm Walking, Healing, Energy Work or what have you. I can also see when they do health diagnostics what is wrong with the person who's come to them and they also are able to see it. I can see the type and strength of the healing energy they flow into the person.

I also know many many preachers/pastors/priests and Ministers who can not do this level of work and whom Angels don't gather around and some of them would label the Shaman as 'mis guided' at best and evil at worst and in the employ of Satan. Interesting isn't it?

So here's something else to contemplate.
Once one reaches a certain level of Consciousness and Awareness there are a great many things they can do, what Jesus did and more. Even Jesus said there would be those who could do Greater Acts than he in the Times to come.
And there are many among us who can do these things and do them nearly daily. They come from every walk of life, every country every religion, no religion, and are called by many names.
What separates them is their Intention.
In a nut shell:
Power used for personal gain to control others would be considered Black Magic.
Power used to assist others in accordance with their Highest Good and working in conjunction with their Higher Self/Guides and Angels is from Love.

So titles like Hedge Walker, Shaman, Priest, Miracle Worker, Mystic, Saint, and so on do not matter - it's how they use the power they have discovered they have. Does it come from Love or does it come from Self Interest?

If it comes from Love they are in the right place and you can likely trust them, (this has nothing to do with money, everyone deserves to receive compensation for work/time/energy they do for you. If you pay your doctor you should also pay your miracle worker in whatever way they ask if its in your means to do so. Render unto Caesar what is Caesars and all that. It is wrong hearted to not show respect for that which is given to you, do not be a Taker for that is not Love)

If it doesn't come from Love then Beware, for their motivations may not be in line with your Highest Good.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Knower
Only intentions can be evil, not powers. Shamans are usually helpful. My advice is to use your intuition when selecting a shaman.
Old 13-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Pathfinder

Shamanism is deeply ingrained in my culture. Based on my experience, it all depends on the individual shaman in question. Unlike other religions there is no bible or guideline to bind them together into a single category. The only thing they all have in common is that they can deliberately interact with spirits.

Most are quacks but a lot of them are genuine. But even the real ones can attract the wrong spirits and that can cause a lot of unwanted harm.

The 'worst' thing about Shamanism, I think, is that they deify a spirit too much to the point of worship that they do not question whether the spirit is a malevolent entity out to no good. Most - in my culture anyway - also ask unquestioning faith and even donations from their followers.

The best of them guide lost souls to the other world, banish ill willed entities, volunteer as oracles for teachers and masters, and overall simply a spiritual pillar connecting this world with the other world(s).

My advice is to listen to your heart whether to trust them just as you would for anyone else. They're like politicians. Not all are bad. Not all are good. Indeed that's what they were in the ancient times.