Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 28-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Newbie ;)

Ashrams in India

Can anybody here recommend an ashram in India? Or maybe give me an introduction to some of the most popular ones?

I'm considering spending some time in one during the winter and I've been googling a bit, but find it difficult to choose.

Thanks in advance :)
Old 28-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Suspended
It is a little difficult to say because many of them are small, local and don't have any websites. The bigger 'international' ashrams/communes like the Osho ashram in Pune and the commune near Pondicherry, Auroville, have info. I also remember staying at Amma's ashram in Kerala. In Rishikesh, there are many ashrams of good repute like the Sivananda ashram:

www.auroville.org
http://amma.org
http://goindia.about.com/od/spiritua...sh-Ashrams.htm

In reality, there are ashrams everywhere and the better ones are hidden away in the Himalayas or jungles of Kerala...!
Old 28-07-2015, 09:03 PM
Guide

You could try the travel site 'Indiamike' for recommendations. Really depends on what you're looking for. There are plenty of great ashrams outside of India too.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Ascender
Sivananda ashram in Rishikesh is good IMO.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Newbie ;)

Thanks for your inputs, now I have something to start googling :) Those of you who have personal experience with (some of) the ashrams, can you write a few lines to describe each of them? I get the feeling that they are very different, but in what sense?

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Suspended
I really think it is up to you to work it out. They are all different and we as people are different so impossible to say in my view.

However, if you are interested in yoga then I would recommend the ashrams in Rishikesh because the setting is beautiful (foothills of Himalayas) with the Ganges running by. The ashrams here are also used to foreigners so a good stepping stone for newcomers. Rishikesh isn't far from Delhi, either.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Master
where are you based cazalet?
Old 04-08-2015, 09:06 AM
Newbie ;)

peteyzen: At the moment I'm in Bulgaria, soon I'll be in Greece and for the winter I'll be in Denmark. Besides from when I'll be in India ;)

Since I've been travelling a bit in India before and lived for a period in Goa, I have decided to start with a place in Goa as I know the area better and then move on to a place in North India.

Does any of you know about the Shri Kali Ashram in Goa? (I'm not allowed to post the link) :-p
Old 08-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Suspended

lf you go to Pondicherry now, there will probably be thousands there, because it's Sri Aurobindo's birthday on the 15th august.
Auroville is outside l believe but will still be crowded.
Certain ashrams l personally wouldn't bother with - but everyone has to tread their own path. Ashrams connected to osho and sai baba l would avoid.
Ramana Maharshi's ashram is probably worth a visit, as is Sri Ramalingam's place. Sri Ramakrishna's ashram's and Yogananda's places too. All these guru's are physically departed now, but their Presence will be felt in their ashram's, especially at Sri Aurobindo ashram.
lt all depends on which path interests you.
Shri Kali is a tantric guru l believe. And most are totally different to Sri Aurobindo's Yoga. So, it's best to be sure before you go to these places.
Old 29-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Deactivated Account
Thumbs up Ramana Ashram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazalet
Can anybody here recommend an ashram in India? Or maybe give me an introduction to some of the most popular ones?

I'm considering spending some time in one during the winter and I've been googling a bit, but find it difficult to choose.

Thanks in advance :)
I'd love to go to this place: http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/ashram/visiting-us/

and attain self realization!