Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 30-03-2011, 02:37 AM
Sangress

Aversion to god/christianity

I was debating whether to put this here, because I thought i would offend people. But I'm not insulting the religion of Christianity or anything related to it, just looking for opinions from people who know more about Christianity than I do.

All my life I've had an aversion to god and anything christian related.

The sight or mention of anything christian related makes my hackles rise every single time, makes my skin crawl, makes me feel so horribly malevolent and irrational, hateful and generally wanting to just laugh in a sneery kind of way.

It really surprises me and nothing else gets that kind of reaction from me. I have no idea of where these emotions come up from, but they are there and they belong to me.

I've tried to research the religion, tried to ask my sister about it, tried to empathize with it and understand and feel something other than these overpowering negative vibes.....but after years of endeavoring against the emotions to find truth it has not changed.

It seems so ridiculous and hypocritical to me that I cannot seem to help but feel this way about Christianity and the beliefs and history involved with it.

I know that this religion has helped people all around the world and shaped our world as we know it. It brings hope to peoples lives and inspires generosity too.

I have no reason not to like Christianity...yet here I am, still feeling utterly hateful of it.

Why and how on earth can I feel this way?

Has anyone come across someone else reacting this way to Christianity?

Can anyone find a reason for this?

I'm at my wits end with trying to understand why I react this way, so hopefully others might be able to help me see a different perspective and help me understand these feelings.

I apologize for offending anyone and have no want for this thread to be come an argument. I have my best intentions in mind.

Thank you

Last edited by Sangress : 30-03-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:55 AM
MurciƩlago

I don't like it either. Crosses hurt my eyes (crucifixes less so but still it feels like my eyes are being clawed) I feel the need to sneer and act horrible also. Something I noticed is that the symbols bother me a whole lot more when they are used by/worn/in the home of devot christians. I've also had crosses bared against me so im not exactly nuetral.

A christian would probably say you're possessed by a demon or some nonsense like that.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Master
It's basically gotta be the hypocracy that all of us are witness to in this world. From child-molesting priests and clergy and the gargantuan coverup for since forever, to politicians hiding behind a false belief to garner votes. It's pretty upsetting to 'real' christians or anyone with a sense of what's right and wrong, if you believe in that sort of thing. We all live with it and any thinking person knows it's humanity's cross to bear.

Old 30-03-2011, 03:33 AM
Master
a past life with negative experiences somehow relating to a christian or christianity??
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 30-03-2011, 06:30 AM
Sangress

Quote:
I don't like it either. Crosses hurt my eyes (crucifixes less so but still it feels like my eyes are being clawed) I feel the need to sneer and act horrible also.

*grins in relief* It's good to know that I'm not alone in this and that other people experience what I have...or part of what I have at least.

When I'm near christian symbols (even if I can't see it) I get like a twinge behind my eyes that is really painful and I get a pounding migraine that comes in stronger waves the closer I get.

I had an incident involving a cross when I was young, about 10 or 11, when a friend of mine was in intensive care and his mother was praying in the waiting room, clutching a cross.

She offered me the cross and I said no (because even then I hated it) but she insisted because "everyone needs prayer sometimes." So I held it, a little silver cross...nothing special...and after about 20 seconds it heated up and I gave it back to the woman and told her never to put that thing near me again.

I had welts on my hand for 3 days.

I never told anyone about it, was too freaked out at the time since my spiritual experience until then had only comprised of subconscious energetic reading and lots of past life flashbacks.

Nothing like the cross incident has happened again, I've made sure to keep away from it. It sounds surreal, though I do notice stones and crystals heat up occasionally as well...but not to that extent and not in an angry way like that cross did.

Quote:
A christian would probably say you're possessed by a demon or some nonsense like that.

My sister did exorcisms with her church...etc. Used to call me a demon child but I never listened to her, I just laughed it off.
Never bothered me until much later on like now, when other aspects of who I am make me question whether I am in fact "demonic"....But I want to avoid that sort of thing because the word demon is steeped in so many stereotypes ...etc

Quote:
It's basically gotta be the hypocracy that all of us are witness to in this world.

I contemplated this on and off for about 3 years and I've decided that that is not the case because I can tell that I am not cross referencing or connecting Christianity to certain people being hypocrites or liars.

People don't need to be christian to lie and pretend to be someone they are not....people who are christian just seem to be more well known since what they do apparently goes against their faith.

I don't automatically hate all Christians because of some kind of reputation the bad ones have gained. I have a couple of good friends who are christian (who find that it is best not to talk about their faith or wear crosses...etc around me from their own experience.)

Quote:
a past life with negative experiences somehow relating to a christian or christianity??

I've searched through my past lives since I first started getting flashbacks as a child and I can't seem to find any overly obvious forms of maltreatment by christians or on behalf of the christian faith. In fact I always found myself far away from the faith and I can't help but wonder whether it was a deliberate avoidance spanning many lives.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I'm sure something will click sooner or later.
Old 30-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Ascender

It seems religion has distorted the truth to such an extent, that it's no longer 'truth'. Maybe this is why you have such a strong aversion towards it. But should you be hating God as well?
Old 30-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Sangress

Quote:
It seems religion has distorted the truth to such an extent, that it's no longer 'truth'. Maybe this is why you have such a strong aversion towards it. But should you be hating God as well?

Perhaps that could be part of it.

I've spoken without thinking before and told a friend who was tying to let me know that god loved me and I remember saying (between the strings of curse words and Latin...) "God loves no one. I HATE god. It's all a lie." for reasons I can't understand.

There are no visible reasons for any of this hatred as far as I can tell. It's just there, always been there. I think it may all be a subconscious thing.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:35 AM
supernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
I was debating whether to put this here, because I thought i would offend people. But I'm not insulting the religion of Christianity or anything related to it, just looking for opinions from people who know more about Christianity than I do.

The sight or mention of anything christian related makes my hackles rise every single time, makes my skin crawl, makes me feel so horribly malevolent and irrational, hateful and generally wanting to just laugh in a sneery kind of way.

It really surprises me and nothing else gets that kind of reaction from me. I have no idea of where these emotions come up from, but they are there and they belong to me.

I've tried to research the religion, tried to ask my sister about it, tried to empathize with it and understand and feel something other than these overpowering negative vibes.....but after years of endeavoring against the emotions to find truth it has not changed.

It seems so ridiculous and hypocritical to me that I cannot seem to help but feel this way about Christianity and the beliefs and history involved with it.

I know that this religion has helped people all around the world and shaped our world as we know it. It brings hope to peoples lives and inspires generosity too.

I have no reason not to like Christianity...yet here I am, still feeling utterly hateful of it.

I'm at my wits end with trying to understand why I react this way, so hopefully others might be able to help me see a different perspective and help me understand these feelings.

I apologize for offending anyone and have no want for this thread to be come an argument. I have my best intentions in mind.

Thank you

You are not alone Sangress. I am parading with you in this campaign. I must say that there are good Christians and good and gracious fathers. But the ugly popes that abuse or molest the innocent and the corruptions at churches and the shaky foundation of this religion infurates me and that makes me averse to all religions.
Old 30-03-2011, 07:41 AM
yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress

Thank you

Is it because you watched 'The Omen' as a child?
Old 30-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Sangress

Quote:
You are not alone Sangress. I am parading with you in this campaign. I must say that there are good Christians and good and gracious fathers. But the ugly popes that abuse or molest the innocent and the corruptions at churches and the shaky foundation of this religion infurates me and that makes me averse to all religions.

*nods* nice to hear your opinion.

I've learned about many religions and even taken some of their teachings and incorporated them into my life (not without a grain of salt and my own individual alterations of course,) so I am not adverse to religions at all.

Quote:
Is it because you watched 'The Omen' as a child?

****. I still haven't watched that. Heard about it. *writes it down on my movie list*