Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 25-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrah
Hi Starlight, sorry I didn't notice your comment. I've been tied up with trying to figure out how to get a blog set up and being remarkable non-techy, I can get stuck on one issue for days before I figure out how to fix it.

But that's so wonderful to hear that you are a campaigner and are involved in trying to move the world towards compassion. In the early days of my vegan lifestyle, I did tons of research, belonged to multiple AR groups via FB and was involved in many discussions (which meant I saw a ton of horrible videos). I've gotten so that every image just brings me literally to tears. You must find the same I'm sure.

Hi Debrah
Sounds like you are very busy with things. Websites can be hard work but worth it to get messages across and try to help to make the world a better place. Yes, I too see things that bring me to tears sometimes but I try to tell myself that my voice is important and I owe that poor animal a "voice".
I just wish people would stop trying to justify cruelty to animals. To me there are no excuses. I am hopeful that one day people will realise this.
I wish you well in your blog and all that you do. Keep up the good work X
Old 07-04-2018, 07:20 PM
Master
Lightbulb Probably... but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inipu27
Have any of you noticed/ felt a change in your awareness and/or spiritual abilities after converting to veganism? I had more spiritual experiences when I was younger in which I happened to be vegan. I've read a number of books suggesting you convert to vegetarianism or veganism, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts and experiences.
I'm not a vegan, but vegetarianism certainly helps. There's less stress and depressing thoughts, and more happiness instead. I can imagine veganism is even better, but it seems a tricky diet. Ghandi couldn't handle it and many spiritual masters like Buddha, Mahavira practised vegetarianism.

But yes, if the body can stay healthy (I believe this is required for growth) then veganism should be beneficial spiritually.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:37 AM
Experiencer

It's not a tricky way to eat. All foods have a certain amount of protein in them so just eating a wide variety of foods and making sure to include beans, grains and nuts and lentils and then all that other good stuff, the fruits and veggies, and you're good to go. These days it's so easy with a zillion recipes (if you like cooking) and all sorts of alternate foods to help you do it gradually and easily. Gosh, you can get non-dairy ice cream that is better than the real thing! So-Good makes a salted caramel flavour that is heavenly!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:46 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight
Hi Debrah
Sounds like you are very busy with things. Websites can be hard work but worth it to get messages across and try to help to make the world a better place. Yes, I too see things that bring me to tears sometimes but I try to tell myself that my voice is important and I owe that poor animal a "voice".
I just wish people would stop trying to justify cruelty to animals. To me there are no excuses. I am hopeful that one day people will realise this.
I wish you well in your blog and all that you do. Keep up the good work X

Well more people every year are hearing and starting to feel uncomfortable about what they're participating in and it's leading to their hearts being changed! I try to remember that now, because the feelings of grief and misery were seriously starting to get me down a couple years ago. I'm sure you've had your moments of despair too.

Thank you for your well wishes on my blog. It's going to be a lifestyle blog for us older women and I'll be focusing on reaching my readers with a new idea about how they can change how they eat and exercise even at a later age and the amazing benefits to their health if they give it a try. (I figure that the animals won't care 'why' they quit eating meat, only that they do;-). So wonderful to talk to you and hear the compassion in your heart and intentions! Go in peace and the strength of Love, Starlight. You're a hero you know!
Old 09-04-2018, 01:43 PM
Master
Smile Protein is never the issue

Yes Debrah, protein isn't an issue at all. I get most of my protein from non-dairy sources anyway. There's black beans, brown beans, kidney beans, falafel, hummus, peanut butter, and much much more..

I think the issue with veganism is B12..
Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair

You should not experience B12 deficiency if you grow your own food organically or at least buy vegetables and fruits from organic farms.

I am a meat eater because I think meat gives me physical strength but I am well aware of the fact that it is not the best option for our soul.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:12 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoGronn
You should not experience B12 deficiency if you grow your own food organically or at least buy vegetables and fruits from organic farms.

I am a meat eater because I think meat gives me physical strength but I am well aware of the fact that it is not the best option for our soul.

This view is common but the truth is that there are so many strong people out there who are living a vegetarian and vegan diet. My fiance and his brother are two such men. They are both physically fit and stronger that most average men, they have the muscle and both train in various ways. They are both vegetarian. It is about getting the correct foods to match the substance your body needs to maintain strength.
Look at the boxer David Haye. I wish you well anyway, but explore the options.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight
This view is common but the truth is that there are so many strong people out there who are living a vegetarian and vegan diet. My fiance and his brother are two such men. They are both physically fit and stronger that most average men, they have the muscle and both train in various ways. They are both vegetarian. It is about getting the correct foods to match the substance your body needs to maintain strength.
Look at the boxer David Haye. I wish you well anyway, but explore the options.

I try not to buy industrial foods anymore but recently I have been thinking about only eating animal products if I farm, hunt or scavenge them, (or somebody who does the same offers them to me.) which means reduced animal products and a mainly plant and mushroom based diet. It is okay if I only eat animal products once or twice a month.

And yes, I know there are vegetarians that are strong. It is just how I feel when I eat meat.
Old 13-04-2018, 12:48 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
Yes Debrah, protein isn't an issue at all. I get most of my protein from non-dairy sources anyway. There's black beans, brown beans, kidney beans, falafel, hummus, peanut butter, and much much more..

Actually and surprisingly, B12 is an issue for everyone. I did a study about it a couple years ago, and PubMed looked at a bunch of research studies and this is what they found: DEFICIENCIES AND WHO’S AT RISK?

A review of eighteen studies by the PubMed website, shows the following breakdown of who is at risk for B12 deficiencies in the general population:

pregnant women 62%
children 25-86%
Adolescents 21-41%
Seniors 11-90%
Vegetarians/vegans 68-83%

There are even some autistic children who may actually have simply started out as B12 deficient and it finally manifested in the change of their behaviour and abilities. In the elderly, the change in ability to digest their food can cause the onset of dementia. And for the rest of the folks, various health issues and disease processes that impair your ability to digest food can cause said deficiency and some medications (including Tums for example) can prevent your ability to digest and absorb B12.

Given that animals in the food industry have to be supplemented with B12 to keep them healthy long enough to 'grow up' and given that human health is suffering in myriad ways including a deficiency as described above, it seems to me that it's time to retire the excuse that people can't be veg'n 'because of the B12 issue'.
Old 13-04-2018, 12:52 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoGronn
I try not to buy industrial foods anymore but recently I have been thinking about only eating animal products if I farm, hunt or scavenge them, (or somebody who does the same offers them to me.) which means reduced animal products and a mainly plant and mushroom based diet. It is okay if I only eat animal products once or twice a month.

And yes, I know there are vegetarians that are strong. It is just how I feel when I eat meat.

If you're only eating it one or two times per month and it doesn't make you feel good, why not cross it off your list completely? Especially as it's known that consumption of any animal products starts a cascade of inflammation in your body within a few hours (doesn't matter if it's from a factory or a field or from the woods), why would you want to eat it? I just don't understand this at all.