Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 26-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Knower
Is Jesus The Only Way?

I recently responded to a new(ish) post from community member "JesusIsLord" where they directed thread viewers to a YouTube video talking about Jesus being the supreme path, and that other chosen paths (in this case, usage of plant medicines) are "inferior" or "incorrect".

The thread was deleted and my post is gone (not sure why), but I'm still curious about this attitude. I was on the Christian path for many years before changing direction and going a different way, and while on that path I believed that anyone not on the "Jesus path" was lost and doomed.

I have since amended my beliefs (5 years ago I changed directions) and I am now very accepting of, and open to considering a broader view of things in this regard. I am accepting of others wherever they are on whatever path they are walking, and I can see that my walk with Jesus helped me to come to the path I am now walking, and was necessary to bring me here.

I will not disrespect anyone who walks with Jesus because that is their path and their timing. They may or may not one day move beyond that way of thinking, just like some will one day move from their current path apart from Christianity, to walking one with Jesus.

So again, I'm curious about the rigid attitude that Christianity is the "only way". This question is for any and all Christians (and others) who care to engage. I am asking with a sincere desire to understand and grow in knowledge and wisdom, and I am not being provocative or inciting division.

Do you believe Jesus is the only way?

If so, why?

What is to become of people who walk a path apart from Christianity?
Old 26-06-2017, 05:03 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tree
I recently responded to a new(ish) post from community member "JesusIsLord" where they directed thread viewers to a YouTube video talking about Jesus being the supreme path, and that other chosen paths (in this case, usage of plant medicines) are "inferior" or "incorrect".

The thread was deleted and my post is gone (not sure why), but I'm still curious about this attitude. I was on the Christian path for many years before changing direction and going a different way, and while on that path I believed that anyone not on the "Jesus path" was lost and doomed.

I have since amended my beliefs (5 years ago I changed directions) and I am now very accepting of, and open to considering a broader view of things in this regard. I am accepting of others wherever they are on whatever path they are walking, and I can see that my walk with Jesus helped me to come to the path I am now walking, and was necessary to bring me here.

I will not disrespect anyone who walks with Jesus because that is their path and their timing. They may or may not one day move beyond that way of thinking, just like some will one day move from their current path apart from Christianity, to walking one with Jesus.

So again, I'm curious about the rigid attitude that Christianity is the "only way". This question is for any and all Christians (and others) who care to engage. I am asking with a sincere desire to understand and grow in knowledge and wisdom, and I am not being provocative or inciting division.

Do you believe Jesus is the only way?

If so, why?

What is to become of people who walk a path apart from Christianity?

No Jesus is not the only way, there have been many enlightened Masters before Jesus and many who will come after him. Nothing will happen to those who find another way, anyone who tells you there is only ' one way ' is mistaken.

The way..... is your way and as long as you don't harm others walking their way then you can't go wrong....
Old 26-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
...as long as you don't harm others walking their way then you can't go wrong....
(partial quote)

Do you consider Christians (and others) who say that their way is the ONLY WAY to be doing "harm" to others?

The reason I ask this additional question is because many of my Christian friends say that they are "praying for me" to come back to Jesus, insinuating, or downright saying that I am errant; I consider this attitude violent, unhelpful, and ignorant. To say "I'll pray for you to find your way back" is, in my mind and heart, very unloving and inconsiderate, and in no way a reflection of Jesus' love.

I was guilty of this attitude when I was a Christian, so I am patient with my friends in their current understanding of Christ, and I do not consider myself better than they because I have walked another way, nor they inferior to me for walking with Jesus.
Old 26-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Master
Quote:
(partial quote)

Do you consider Christians (and others) who say that their way is the only way to be doing "harm" to others?

I think it depends on the individual really, it would hurt some who are sensitive and take notice of others but one who has seen other ways ( as I have ) well I think they are hurting themselves because they are stuck and unable to open up to other options and are missing a lot.

That is why Religions can and have caused so much misery in the world because of this belief that their way is the only way. There are many paths that lead to the same place, choose your own and respect the choice of others
Old 26-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Knower
Quote:
...I think they are hurting themselves because they are stuck and unable to open up to other options and are missing a lot.

That is why Religions can and have caused so much misery in the world because of this belief that their way is the only way. There are many paths that lead to the same place, choose your own and respect the choice of others

I agree
Old 26-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Master
Quote:
(partial quote)

Do you consider Christians (and others) who say that their way is the ONLY WAY to be doing "harm" to others?

The reason I ask this additional question is because many of my Christian friends say that they are "praying for me" to come back to Jesus, insinuating, or downright saying that I am errant; I consider this attitude violent, unhelpful, and ignorant. To say "I'll pray for you to find your way back" is, in my mind and heart, very unloving and inconsiderate, and in no way a reflection of Jesus' love.

I was guilty of this attitude when I was a Christian, so I am patient with my friends in their current understanding of Christ, and I do not consider myself better than they because I have walked another way, nor they inferior to me for walking with Jesus.

Best to try and ignore them and follow your own way, if they think that praying for you will change your feelings then let them pray. If things get difficult for you then mybe it's time to move on. See how it goes, don't rush into things you may regret but if it starts to hurt you then walk away after explaining to them the reasons.
Old 26-06-2017, 06:02 PM
Knower
Quote:
Best to try and ignore them and follow your own way, if they think that praying for you will change your feelings then let them pray. If things get difficult for you then mybe it's time to move on. See how it goes, don't rush into things you may regret but if it starts to hurt you then walk away after explaining to them the reasons.

Thanks. I tell them to go ahead and pray, and I encourage them to LISTEN more than they speak while praying. I was pretty thin-skinned when I was a Christian (personally - not all Christian are so), and now I'm much tougher. I have moved on from the more forceful "friends" and have kept the ones who are accepting of my path (though they still think I'm wrong).

More often than not, it is Christians who end their friendships with me, believing that their [god] disapproves of them keeping company with a "pagan heathen" like myself
Old 26-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Master
Quote:
Thanks. I tell them to go ahead and pray, and I encourage them to LISTEN more than they speak while praying. I was pretty thin-skinned when I was a Christian (personally - not all Christian are so), and now I'm much tougher. I have moved on from the more forceful "friends" and have kept the ones who are accepting of my path (though they still think I'm wrong).

More often than not, it is Christians who end their friendships with me, believing that their [god] disapproves of them keeping company with a "pagan heathen" like myself

See there we have it ' pagan heathen '
They are brainwashed because Jesus would never say that, this is why religion causes wars etc: that attitude.

You may enjoy reading ' The Gospel of Thomas ' which was deliberately not included in any Church teachings. The Jesus who spoke in this Gospel is the one I believe in. I think you will enjoy it and you can show your friends also.
Old 26-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Knower
Quote:
You may enjoy reading ' The Gospel of Thomas ' which was deliberately not included in any Church teachings. The Jesus who spoke in this Gospel is the one I believe in. I think you will enjoy it and you can show your friends also.

I have read the Gospel of Thomas

I too believe in the Jesus of this account (metaphorically speaking). I have recommended it to my Christian friends, who all call it "heresy" without ever having read it. The mere suggestion that Jesus is a way shower, and not THE WAY, causes them to get extremely frustrated and even indignant at times

I really appreciate your responses and encouragements

I think you and I are on similar wavelengths
Old 26-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Master
Quote:
I have read the Gospel of Thomas

I too believe in the Jesus of this account (metaphorically speaking). I have recommended it to my Christian friends, who all call it "heresy" without ever having read it. The mere suggestion that Jesus is a way shower, and not THE WAY, causes them to get extremely frustrated and even indignant at times

I really appreciate your responses and encouragements

I think you and I are on similar wavelengths

Can you see Buddhism in The Gospel of Thomas ?