Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 08-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Suspended
Pathfinder
Weird Smells Reminding Me Of Childhood.

I sometimes get smells that reminds me of places, the other day in the super market I just had a really bad vision, and this smell, it smelt like my old primary school when I was a tiny child. I knew that wasn't the first time smelling that certain scent.

Why does this happen?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 AM
Master
I don't know why smelling triclosan is like catnip to a cat for me, or when I smell English Blazer after shave it works about 100 times better than lavender oil in relaxing me (when nobody ever wore that scent that I know of) and that stale smell of old cardboard, chalk and pencils is in a lot of places, reminding me that a lot of things can make that particular smell. It's just the mind using smell to associate with a memory, like when I smell blueberry muffins, I am reminded of my grandma who used to make them and I feel a sense of warmth and comfort. It is just a 'human thing'.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:27 AM
Suspended

Smells are very closely tied to emotion and memories...and when you smell a certain smell it can trigger a memory which you associate that particular scent with...

Here is more reading for you on the subject if you are interested:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...s-and-emotions
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Pathfinder
I was just going to write something on the forum about a smell that I have when I saw your post. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.
I happened with me also in a supermarket, I was standing at the cash desk, when I suddenly smelled coffee, but a very delicious smelling. And I do not even drink coffee. I said to the saleswoman, oh, the coffee smells so nice here, time for a coffeebreak soon? She looked at me and said, we do not make coffee here, so we do not have any. And I stood there enjoying the smell and all the other people, they said nothing, and I saw that I was the only one. That was so weird, I felt a bit shy, anyway I payed, and went away, but I think sometimes of that moment.
Because I begin to smell more things now, like wine (I do not drink wine, and have not any in my house), and it also smells very good; and steaks.
But also things that smells bad, like dirt, rotten food, and that I really do not like.
I must say, it is a long time ago, I think about 20 years, my grandmother died, and after a while suddenly I smelled her perfume that she always had. From this I was certain that she came to say hello. And that was a happy feeling.
Well, like you, I have also questions about the smells that I do not know where they come from. And it feels good to share it here on this forum.

Sarah
Old 10-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnia
Smells are very closely tied to emotion and memories...and when you smell a certain smell it can trigger a memory which you associate that particular scent with...

Here is more reading for you on the subject if you are interested:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...s-and-emotions

Thank you also for this link, I am certainly going to read it!

Sarah
Old 13-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Guide
Location: Beyond this illusion some where between Finding God and helping others
its a type of nostalgia
or a programmed response. I wake up in the morning and depending on the smell of the day it either feels like mid winter, early summer or fall time. Every day. Sandal wood reminds me of my mother, while it also makes me sick to my tummy. We back log experiences to judge new ones. we dont usually let go of them
Old 14-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Experiencer
A few years ago I was in church, gathered around the front with a praying crowd at worship time. Suddenly I smelled the rich odor of a meat stew with lentils cooking. I raised my head and saw the pastor and a deacon also looking around to see where the scent was coming from. It wasn't pot-luck Sunday they assured me.

Our old Pug Dog died a few months ago. Recently, talking about him, I got a strong whiff of his scent.

I store these memories along with the other 'signs and portents' that come; wind-chimes ringing when there is no wind; clouds parting for a single sunbeam or rainbow when I ask for assurance about something. It all makes me feel loved and supported.

Those other times, when the scent reminds me of some sorrowful thing or trauma, I assume my body is telling me I'm ready to address the issues they represent.
Old 23-06-2016, 11:42 AM
Newbie ;)

Nice to read your post!