Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 03-06-2020, 04:06 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

(38) Jesus said,

"Often you desired to hear these words
            that I am speaking to you,
and you have no one else to hear them from.

There will be days when you will look for me
            and you will not find me."

BigJohn,

I know that I have already responded to this scripture but I feel the need to elaborate. Anyone after reading this scripture should ask themselves: "How does one find Jesus-God-Spirit when I need this ?"

First, know what you are looking for. John 1:1 tells us...."In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 4:24...…"God is spirit"

1 Corinthians 6:19....."Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you ?"

Matthew 6:6....."But when you pray, go into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father, the One in secret. And your Father, the One seeing in secret, will reward you."

Obviously your 'inner room' is not a physical place and shutting the door is shutting the door to your normal 5 senses. When we are in connection with the Spirit there is no one else to hear from. It must come only from the Spirit.

Sometimes the unspoken question is the one that we should be asking ourselves. We must recognize God in his essential self.....not some conception of a physical being.
Old 03-06-2020, 04:46 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
BigJohn,

Sometimes the unspoken question is the one that we should be asking ourselves. We must recognize God in his essential self.....not some conception of a physical being.

Wouldn't that contradict what Jesus say's?
Old 03-06-2020, 05:19 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy
Wouldn't that contradict what Jesus say's?

Jonesboy,

Not sure what you mean ? What words of Jesus do you have in mind ?
Old 04-06-2020, 06:25 AM
Master
Quote:
The Gospel of Thomas was never canonized.

GOSPEL OF THOMAS
  VERSE 38

(38) Jesus said,

"Often you desired to hear these words
            that I am speaking to you,
and you have no one else to hear them from.

There will be days when you will look for me
            and you will not find me."
The Prophet Mani (216-274) came up with his own Psalm. His Psalm mimics Gospel of Thomas verse 38. His version was:

"I have something to say,
I have no one to whom to say it."

Prophet Mani's teaching seemed to be based on Gnosticism, Zoroastrianism, Christianity and Buddhism. Somehow he was able to bring parts of these diverse groups together as one. Was he looking for Interfaith?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Master

Quote:
The Prophet Mani (216-274) came up with his own Psalm. His Psalm mimics Gospel of Thomas verse 38. His version was:

"I have something to say,
I have no one to whom to say it."

Prophet Mani's teaching seemed to be based on Gnosticism, Zoroastrianism, Christianity and Buddhism. Somehow he was able to bring parts of these diverse groups together as one. Was he looking for Interfaith?

John the Baptist....”I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness”
Old 05-06-2020, 04:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
BigJohn,

I know that I have already responded to this scripture but I feel the need to elaborate. Anyone after reading this scripture should ask themselves: "How does one find Jesus-God-Spirit when I need this ?"

First, know what you are looking for. John 1:1 tells us...."In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 4:24...…"God is spirit"

1 Corinthians 6:19....."Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you ?"

Matthew 6:6....."But when you pray, go into your inner room, and having shut your door, pray to your Father, the One in secret. And your Father, the One seeing in secret, will reward you."

Obviously your 'inner room' is not a physical place and shutting the door is shutting the door to your normal 5 senses. When we are in connection with the Spirit there is no one else to hear from. It must come only from the Spirit.

Interesting food for thought.

Thanks for your insight.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 07-06-2020, 10:08 AM
Master

GOSPEL OF THOMAS
  VERSE 39

(39) Jesus said,

"The Pharisees and the scribes have taken the keys of knowledge (gnōsis)
                              and they have hidden them.

They did not enter,
              nor have they allowed those who wish to enter.

You should be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves!"

Old 07-06-2020, 10:21 AM
Master
Gospel of Thomas, verse 39 brings to light that some teachers/gurus have blocked others from learning spiritual truths partially because they do not understand those particular teachings themselves. In order to get those teachings, we must be 'shrewd as serpents' while posing 'as innocent as doves'.

This scripture uses the word gnōsis which is the transliteration of the Greek word γνῶσις. γνῶσις is generally translated as knowledge.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Master
Quote:

GOSPEL OF THOMAS
  VERSE 39

(39) Jesus said,

"The Pharisees and the scribes have taken the keys of knowledge (gnōsis)
                              and they have hidden them.

They did not enter,
              nor have they allowed those who wish to enter.

You should be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves!"

This is a warning regarding "institutional" organizations and teachings. Sharing the light is a "living thing". Many use religion as a base for power, rather than truth.

The simply (on the outside) and sly (in your search) points to looking deeper and beyond the outer form. Below is a similar passage from the Holy Bible...

Mathew 23 :1-9 (KJV)

Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments, And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues, And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.

But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:41 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesboy

Mathew 23 :1-9 (KJV)

Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples, Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

jonesboy,

This particular scripture, IMO, is a mistranslation. It should read as and be understood as....."whatsoever they(Moses) bids you observe" and "do not ye after their(the scribes and Pharisees) works, etc."

The rest of your comments are applicable and appropriate. Otherwise it is contradictory(the translation) and nonsensical.