Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 17-04-2020, 01:06 PM
Newbie ;)

Path of devotion, gods and demi-gods

Few months back I visited a Hindu psychic medium who recommended that I start worshiping lord Ganesha. I told her that I wished to worship lord Krishna because I had decided to give the path of devotion or Bhakti a try, and felt more drawn towards that deity. She replied me revealing that my astrological chart dictated that I should consider Ganesha as my preferred deity and therefore propitiate him, but at the same time there was nothing wrong in worshiping lord Krishna.

Now, most Hindu psychic mediums I have met have told me that deities like Ganesha and other petty gods exist for real, have their particular role and that they need to be pleased either in order to win their favor or lest they be displeased. But many classify these deities as demigods while deities like Shiva and Vishnu as gods. I have read Bhagwata Geeta which puts Krishna or Vishnu on the rank of "The God" whilst other demi-gods, including Shiva are considered to be demi-gods. I am sure Shaivite tradition replaces Shiva with Vishnu and so do other traditions like Shakta et al.

Now I am left with so many questions but here I will only list the ones that are bothering me the most and whose answers, I am optimist, I will be able to get from you all:

1. Do you believe that these demi-gods do exist like told by the mediums? Do they have the same andromorphic form as seen in the images?

2. So who is the real God between Shiva and Vishnu and who is just a demi god?

3. Isn't it true that Shiva and Vishnu appeared much later in Puranas and they are merely imaginary representation of some formless God/Power given by devotees. In that case isn't worshipping them assigning a particular form like other demi-gods (if case 1. is true) just a waste of time?

4. If I decide to worship all three: Ganesha, Shiva and Vishnu/Krishna, what is the best way of practice? Can I tread on the path of Bhakti venerating both Shiva and Vishnu if there exist any tradition, and worhship Ganesha for my wordly endeavors?

Thank you
Old 17-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Master

I'm not sure how it is in Sanskrit, but in the English language, gods refer to all celestial beings in general and demi-gods are any children they might have had with mortals. This is based on Greek mythology, which is related to Hindu mythology in its origins. For instance, Zeus is the same god as Indra.

So in terms of the English terminology, Indra would be considered a god, his son Arjuna, on the other hand would be considered a demi-god, because he was born of a mortal mother.

Any gods that are elevated above the others, as is particularly common in monotheism, is strictly a matter of personal preference. There is somewhat of a heavenly hierarchy, but this changes according to tradition. Obviously, not all gods are equal, but they are given certain areas of responsibility and they are more likely to help you if you keep that in mind. This also applies to catholic saints btw, so I think it is a universal.

However, in general, I would suggest choosing a protective deity, even a minor one and establishing a relationship with that one first. This deity can then introduce you to further ones and act as a guide and helper whenever you are in need.