Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Tai Chi & Chi Gong

Old 09-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Knower
Chi practice with a partially disabled arm

My right arm has been partially disabled at birth. The most movement I can get out of it, is to raise it about chest high level in front of me. This makes most if not all chi-gong movements to be extremely challenging.

I'm wondering how I can modify the moves to incorporate my disability. For example, I'm doing Falun Dafa microcosmic orbit where it requires the right arm to reach all the way to the back of the head and criss-cross formation. What I usually do is put my arm slightly to the side and just hold it there. I am not sure where my broke arm needs to be for the greatest effect. I heard that chi-gong is a flow and easy movements, but I often I find myself straining my right arm into the correct position.

Do you know how I can modify my arm movements to get the best possible effect?
Old 11-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Guide

Modify it to come as close as possible, without straining, to what a fully abled person can do. To force things is the opposite of the Tai Chi principle of 'shoong', to relax. to give up, to yield.

The mental engagement in the movement is more important than desperately trying to make the movement look like the ideal movement
Old 12-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokazulu
My right arm has been partially disabled at birth. The most movement I can get out of it, is to raise it about chest high level in front of me. This makes most if not all chi-gong movements to be extremely challenging.

I'm wondering how I can modify the moves to incorporate my disability. For example, I'm doing Falun Dafa microcosmic orbit where it requires the right arm to reach all the way to the back of the head and criss-cross formation. What I usually do is put my arm slightly to the side and just hold it there. I am not sure where my broke arm needs to be for the greatest effect. I heard that chi-gong is a flow and easy movements, but I often I find myself straining my right arm into the correct position.

Falun Gong is not Qigong, there are many differences.

If you cannot do any movements in Qigong and they cause you discomfort/pain then you should not do them, just do what your body allows you to do

I teach Qigong and can help you if you need any advice....
Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
Modify it to come as close as possible, without straining, to what a fully abled person can do. To force things is the opposite of the Tai Chi principle of 'shoong', to relax. to give up, to yield.

The mental engagement in the movement is more important than desperately trying to make the movement look like the ideal movement

Qigong is not Tai Chi markings, they are soooo different.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Qigong is not Tai Chi markings, they are soooo different.
Tai Chi is a special form of Qi Gong. As far energetic practices are concerned, and that was the OP's consideration, they as well as Falun Dafa practices, can basically be treated under the same umbrella.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by markings
Tai Chi is a special form of Qi Gong. As far energetic practices are concerned, and that was the OP's consideration, they as well as Falun Dafa practices, can basically be treated under the same umbrella.

A lot of people seem to make this error.
Qigong is purely for health, Tai Chi is a Martial Art

Tai Chi power is dense while Qigong is light.
The art of Tai Chi is elaborate choreography unlike Qigong.
Qigong is cultivating Chi, forms are not as important, Tai Chi forms are very important for alignment etc:
Tai Chi relates to energies in physical movements, Qigong relates to energies of our organs. Many more difference which you can look into yourself if need be.

Of course they are both about moving/cultivating Chi energy but are very different. To someone who is observing a practitioner they look similar but involve big differences.

Falun Gong uses movement which again look similar but are very different. One of the big differences is they do not use ' breath ' work but yet again you can research youself and see it is not Qigong.

Qigong goes back 5000 years or more, Falun Gong is young 1990 ish I think and is very ' cult like '
Old 15-04-2017, 04:18 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123

I teach Qigong and can help you if you need any advice....

If you have one exercise you can teach me that specifically draws the energy from my head down towards my heart or solar plexus area, I'd like to know what it is and how I can modify my arm to do the correct movement for it.
Old 15-04-2017, 05:52 AM
Guide

Quote:
If you have one exercise you can teach me that specifically draws the energy from my head down towards my heart or solar plexus area, I'd like to know what it is and how I can modify my arm to do the correct movement for it.
Have you tried the Inner Smile technique?
That will shift energy to all the organs, not just the heart and solar plexus, and does not even require arm movements.
Old 15-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Master
Quote:

Qigong is about moving Chi all around your meridians, not just from one place to another.
Any Qigong exercise will help you, just do whatever you can, never force or strain your body, that does more harm than good.Have a look at ' Eight Brocade ' it's very easy for beginners, just do what you can do and adapt it yourself to your body, Qigong is flexible unlike Tai Chi which is more stricter on movements.
Old 16-10-2018, 03:42 AM
Seeker

Quote:

I also practiced Falun Gong. I used to have excessive knee pains and I had problem bending down when doing the Falun Dafa microcosmic orbit. However, my knee pains disappeared after persevering for a month. My guess is that every individual is different and we will encounter different experiences.

My advice is that you persevere with the practice as many people reported significant health gains. Focus on learning the principles behind Zhuan Falun as they are just as important.

As with any practice, you need patience. Hope this helps. :-)