Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2020, 05:17 PM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 1,731
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
A Powerful Lesson

https://youtu.be/kHRmFtzoaYg?t=260
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-02-2020, 06:29 AM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 1,731
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Resting in Awareness

Here's my experience about one's true nature and keeping mind centered on It.

It's not necessary and in fact keeping one's mind centered on awareness defeats the purpose of meditation. It's the classic observer trap and just a more benign version of ego.

I like the way I once heard Jon Kabat-Zinn describe it as resting in awareness. That was quite a while back, probably 6 years, and I didn't understand its real significance then but it stuck with me and I incorporated that technique into my formal practice.

https://youtu.be/5TeWvf-nfpA?list=PL...PNokg&t=117 8

If practiced properly and to some degree mastered it is experiencing non-dual awareness. It's escaping mind, ego and meditation's observer trap and is in fact the sought-after meditative state.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG

Last edited by JustASimpleGuy : 08-02-2020 at 07:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-02-2020, 11:29 PM
davidsun davidsun is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Arizona, U.S.A
Posts: 3,449
  davidsun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
If practiced properly and to some degree mastered it is experiencing non-dual awareness. It's escaping mind, ego and meditation's observer trap and is in fact the sought-after meditative state.
This may seem to be an impossibility to you because so many (including you?) axiomatically assume and believe it to be absolutely true, but have you thought about the 'what if' possibility that you call "awareness" or "non-dual awareness" isn't the 'core' or 'base' state of Atman (or Brahman or God or Being)?

I mean, what if (any kind of) "awareness" is just a feature, i.e. a 'faculty' or 'power', of Brahman (the Soul of the Self of (all) Being?

The way I 'see' IT, the core Essence of Brahman (God, Soul, whatever you want to call IT) is Creativity (anything and everything, 'you' included, is a 'manifestation' of Creativity), and Creativity is functionally co-activated by the 'operation' of Mind and Spirit - analogous to the way that 'manifestations' of Light, or Light Rays, are functional expression of an an electromagnetic 'wave', a coordinated wave of Electricity and Magnetism.

Just as there can't be 'Light', or a Light Wave, without the co-active Presence of Electricity and Magnetism, there can't be Brahman or Being without the co-active Presence of Mind and Spirit.

If I am correct about this (note: I acknowledge that I might not be!), then your, or anyone else (such as those in your video), axiomaticallly assuming and thereby making "awareness" (or "non-dual awareness") a fundamental, core or base, 'pillar' of your philosophy and thinking that you can therefore just dispense with 'mind' or an 'observer' positionality doesn't make sense.

Though, as in the case of any other experienced 'state', it may of course be subjectively projected and so 'hypnogogic-ally' experienced (see https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321070.php), it strikes me as being a questionable proposition in terms of the actual truth, to say the very least.
__________________
David
http://davidsundom.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 PM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 1,731
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
This may seem to be an impossibility to you because so many (including you?) axiomatically assume and believe it to be absolutely true, but have you thought about the 'what if' possibility that you call "awareness" or "non-dual awareness" isn't the 'core' or 'base' state of Atman (or Brahman or God or Being)?

I mean, what if (any kind of) "awareness" is just a feature, i.e. a 'faculty' or 'power', of Brahman (the Soul of the Self of (all) Being?

The way I 'see' IT, the core Essence of Brahman (God, Soul, whatever you want to call IT) is Creativity (anything and everything, 'you' included, is a 'manifestation' of Creativity), and Creativity is functionally co-activated by the 'operation' of Mind and Spirit - analogous to the way that 'manifestations' of Light, or Light Rays, are functional expression of an an electromagnetic 'wave', a coordinated wave of Electricity and Magnetism.

Just as there can't be 'Light', or a Light Wave, without the co-active Presence of Electricity and Magnetism, there can't be Brahman or Being without the co-active Presence of Mind and Spirit.

If I am correct about this (note: I acknowledge that I might not be!), then your, or anyone else (such as those in your video), axiomaticallly assuming and thereby making "awareness" (or "non-dual awareness") a fundamental, core or base, 'pillar' of your philosophy and thinking that you can therefore just dispense with 'mind' or an 'observer' positionality doesn't make sense.

Though, as in the case of any other experienced 'state', it may of course be subjectively projected and so 'hypnogogic-ally' experienced (see https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321070.php), it strikes me as being a questionable proposition in terms of the actual truth, to say the very least.

Well, this is the core of non-dualism. Also luminaries in philosophy of mind such as David Chalmers (he coined "The Hard Problem" of consciousness) and physics such as Sir Roger Penrose believe consciousness is fundamental.

So you can theorize all you want but to be perfectly frank it doesn't hold the tiniest drop of water compared to thousands of years of philosophy dedicated to the subject, and I find it odd you are constantly attacking it, almost like it's a threat to your own belief.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-2020, 12:01 AM
davidsun davidsun is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Arizona, U.S.A
Posts: 3,449
  davidsun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Well, this is the core of non-dualism. Also luminaries in philosophy of mind such as David Chalmers (he coined "The Hard Problem" of consciousness) and physics such as Sir Roger Penrose believe consciousness is fundamental.

So you can theorize all you want but to be perfectly frank it doesn't hold the tiniest drop of water compared to thousands of years of philosophy dedicated to the subject, and I find it odd you are constantly attacking it, almost like it's a threat to your own belief.
Thousands of years? People thought that pleasing 'God' required 'sacrifices' for thousands of years. Give me a break in terms of logic! You want to label a challenging question and philosophical disgreement as an 'attack'? That's on you, fella.

P.S. In case I didn't make the implications of the logic of my proposed world-view completely clear, according to that world-view, there could/would be no awareness (of any kind)unless a 'mind' or mental faculty was pre-operative.
__________________
David
http://davidsundom.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-02-2020, 10:39 AM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 1,731
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun
P.S. In case I didn't make the implications of the logic of my proposed world-view completely clear, according to that world-view, there could/would be no awareness (of any kind)unless a 'mind' or mental faculty was pre-operative.

I get it all to well. You reject the cosmos and settle for crumbs and hang it all on your treatise. That's fine for you but I'm not interested in that debate or attempting to convince you otherwise.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2020, 10:41 AM
Moondance Moondance is offline
Experiencer
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 254
  Moondance's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Well, this is the core of non-dualism. Also luminaries in philosophy of mind such as David Chalmers (he coined "The Hard Problem" of consciousness) and physics such as Sir Roger Penrose believe consciousness is fundamental.

Hi JASG

I’m enjoying many of your posts here. But I would take issue with the statement that ‘consciousness is fundamental’ is the core tenet of non-dualism. True enough, it IS the core of Advaita Vedanta. Understandably people often assume that Advaita and non-duality are synonyms (a-dvaita literally means non-duality.) Yet although Advaita certainly IS non-dualism, non-dualism is not necessarily Advaita Vedanta. The term (non-duality) can be applied to a wider domain of traditions, sub-traditions and philosophical perspectives.

A nondualist/absolute monist outlook is simply to attribute Oneness/not-two-ness or singleness to reality (it’s not necessarily to formulate what the ’substance’ or essence of that Oneness is.) Pantheism, for instance, is the view that everything is God/Nature. Buddhist, Madhyamaka describes the nature of reality as Emptiness - which is inseparable from all conceivable forms and conditions. This is sometimes interpreted as a monist view although Buddhist deny any form of ultimate reality. Taoism is similar to Pantheism in that it describes the primacy of a singular unifying force. Nondualistic thought can be found in much Christian mysticism and Neoplatonism. Even materialism can be described in nondualistic (or absolute monist - ultimately the same thing) terms:

“Materialism is a form of philosophical monism that holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things, including mental states and consciousness, are results of material interactions. According to philosophical materialism, mind and consciousness are by-products or epiphenomena of material processes (such as the biochemistry of the human brain and nervous system), without which they cannot exist. This concept directly contrasts with idealism, where mind and consciousness are first-order realities to which matter is subject and material interactions are secondary.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-02-2020, 10:56 AM
JustASimpleGuy JustASimpleGuy is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Adirondack Mountains, Upstate NY
Posts: 1,731
  JustASimpleGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance
Hi JASG

I’m enjoying many of your posts here. But I would take issue with the statement that ‘consciousness is fundamental’ is the core tenet of non-dualism. True enough, it IS the core of Advaita Vedanta. Understandably people often assume that Advaita and non-duality are synonyms (a-dvaita literally means non-duality.) Yet although Advaita certainly IS non-dualism, non-dualism is not necessarily Advaita Vedanta. The term (non-duality) can be applied to a wider domain of traditions, sub-traditions and philosophical perspectives.

A nondualist/absolute monist outlook is simply to attribute Oneness/not-two-ness or singleness to reality (it’s not necessarily to formulate what the ’substance’ or essence of that Oneness is.) Pantheism, for instance, is the view that everything is God/Nature. Buddhist, Madhyamaka describes the nature of reality as Emptiness - which is inseparable from all conceivable forms and conditions. This is sometimes interpreted as a monist view although Buddhist deny any form of ultimate reality. Taoism is similar to Pantheism in that it describes the primacy of a singular unifying force. Nondualistic thought can be found in much Christian mysticism and Neoplatonism. Even materialism can be described in nondualistic (or absolute monist - ultimately the same thing) terms:

“Materialism is a form of philosophical monism that holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things, including mental states and consciousness, are results of material interactions. According to philosophical materialism, mind and consciousness are by-products or epiphenomena of material processes (such as the biochemistry of the human brain and nervous system), without which they cannot exist. This concept directly contrasts with idealism, where mind and consciousness are first-order realities to which matter is subject and material interactions are secondary.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism

Point taken although when I think it through I'm hard-pressed to find a unifying One outside of pure being, and that seems to point to some fundamental consciousness or awareness. Even the mystics of many traditions speak of looking within and identifying the core of their being as the Divine, and I'm fairly certain that is awareness/consciousness.

It's interesting because what led me down this path was not spirituality per se, but philosophy of mind and physics. Advaita Vedanta came along about nine years after that journey began and I had already come to that conclusion in my own mind.

I'd also suggest Buddhist emptiness is that state of consciousness, choiceless awareness, pure experience minus anything to be experienced (maya).

EDIT: And yes, it's a bold statement and to me why it contains so much power. It's a tangible unifying aspect between the finite and the Infinite. Something that cannot only be understand but also experience.
__________________
"Research your own experience; absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add what is essentially your own." ~ Bruce Lee

"Of a certainty the man who can see all creatures in himself, himself in all creatures, knows no sorrow." ~ Upanishads

https://tinyurl.com/y2mxr4s2 My YouTube Channel

JASG
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2020, 12:56 PM
MikeS80 MikeS80 is offline
Master
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,116
  MikeS80's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance
Hi JASG

I’m enjoying many of your posts here. But I would take issue with the statement that ‘consciousness is fundamental’ is the core tenet of non-dualism. True enough, it IS the core of Advaita Vedanta. Understandably people often assume that Advaita and non-duality are synonyms (a-dvaita literally means non-duality.) Yet although Advaita certainly IS non-dualism, non-dualism is not necessarily Advaita Vedanta. The term (non-duality) can be applied to a wider domain of traditions, sub-traditions and philosophical perspectives.

A nondualist/absolute monist outlook is simply to attribute Oneness/not-two-ness or singleness to reality (it’s not necessarily to formulate what the ’substance’ or essence of that Oneness is.) Pantheism, for instance, is the view that everything is God/Nature. Buddhist, Madhyamaka describes the nature of reality as Emptiness - which is inseparable from all conceivable forms and conditions. This is sometimes interpreted as a monist view although Buddhist deny any form of ultimate reality. Taoism is similar to Pantheism in that it describes the primacy of a singular unifying force. Nondualistic thought can be found in much Christian mysticism and Neoplatonism. Even materialism can be described in nondualistic (or absolute monist - ultimately the same thing) terms:

“Materialism is a form of philosophical monism that holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all things, including mental states and consciousness, are results of material interactions. According to philosophical materialism, mind and consciousness are by-products or epiphenomena of material processes (such as the biochemistry of the human brain and nervous system), without which they cannot exist. This concept directly contrasts with idealism, where mind and consciousness are first-order realities to which matter is subject and material interactions are secondary.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism
I really enjoyed this response to JASG. Pantheism goes perfectly together with Panpsychism (of quantum physics?), which Is the belief that the singularity, universe, god etc Is Conscious of Itself. Which means there must be duality for the singularity, universe, god to be conscious of itself.
__________________
All we see with our mind and senses is Brahman, but we are not recognizing it as Brahman. And this is maya, ignorance, the cause of all suffering. Brahman is Objective truth/reality and our true inner objective self.
subjective
5: lacking in reality or substance : ILLUSORY
objective
1a: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations.
Definitions from merriam-webster.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2020, 01:11 PM
Unseeking Seeker Unseeking Seeker is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Delhi, India
Posts: 4,929
  Unseeking Seeker's Avatar
***

Let us not look at consciousness as static.

Recognise it as a vibration, a pulse, in incessant dynamic stillness.

***
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums