Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 26-04-2020, 06:45 AM
Knower
Solipsism

Have you ever considered you are alone in your own dream?

www.speaksumo.com
www.bluestar.uno
Old 26-04-2020, 07:48 AM
Master

When I was 16 I attempted to start a schoolyard religion based on this very thought. it's nice to know that there is a name for it.
I was a drama kid... We were all a bit offbeat.
Old 26-04-2020, 11:20 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicValet
I am alone in a dream with other versions of myself saying they are also alone in a dream...cool

Have you considered that what "you" perceive as "you" isn't you/doesn't exist (take your pick because it doesn't matter either way).

Solipsism? Nah, never heard of it. *jokes*
Old 26-04-2020, 11:51 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicValet

Literally, as in when you dream during sleep? Sure.

Outside of that? Nope.

Solipsism as a serious proposition is a mental disease IMO. I know that will be read as a 'strong opinion' but there's just no way to argue in favour of solipsism. Others exist outside of you, the world will continue to exist after your death. It's also worthwhile to consider that solipsism is not similar to pantheism, which does recognize others exist.

Last edited by Altair : 26-04-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 26-04-2020, 12:24 PM
Lorelyen

This topic pops up from time to time. I thought about it but couldn't take it seriously. Looking around at "society" and what's going on in the world, I'd need a horrid and hopelessly perverse imagination to come up with that backdrop.

But....I have no proof. No one does.
Old 26-04-2020, 02:09 PM
Master

Dreams have no sequential continuity
Waking reality does

Old 27-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

Waking reality does

True. Have you awoke from one dream to find yourself in another?

www.speaksumo.com
www.bluestar.uno
Old 29-04-2020, 05:20 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

Waking reality does

From http://dream-institute.org/articles/seth-on-dreams/
(there's much more there which may be interest to anyone wishing to explore this and related matters further):

"Seth noted that just as, on any given day, the events in our personal lives fit within the larger pattern of world events, likewise on any given night, the intimate events of our dreams also exist in the greater context of the world’s dreams. (Roberts, 1981, 109–110) In line with Jung’s notion of the collective unconscious, Seth emphasized that we each have a 'dream memory' as a species, with certain natural symbols. And even when shared dreams are not recalled, they nevertheless circulate through our psychological system and “are responsible for the inventiveness and creativity of the species.” (Roberts, 1979, 186–87)"