Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 22-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Newbie ;)

Vegan family...they just don't know it yet!

Hi All,

I have been vegetarian (along with my eldest son) for some time now, but have been increasingly creeping towards veganism. My journey along the spiritual path has now reached the point where it is perfectly natural for me to go this way, and I expected to do it alone as my partner and 3 other children are still meat eaters. However, my partner watched a program last night called Cowspiracy, and it has had a dramatic effect; he now wants us all to go vegan. I have been careful not to push my beliefs and life choices onto my family as I feel that I would rather them come to their own conclusions, and as such they have all recently agreed (between themselves, I wasn't involved!) not to eat beef after discovering how much land/grain is used to feed them compared to the amount of meat that lands on a plate, but they had not thought they could do without milk, cheese and other derivatives. However, since the full extent of the issue was laid out to my partner last night, he says he feels a moral obligation to remove ourselves from that equation as much as possible and do our little bit.
I am thrilled, but I am wondering what the reaction will be when we sit the others down later and explain! I am busy researching tasty alternatives for favourites such as ice cream and tomato & mascapone sauce, and am heading off to purchase a carton of each type of plant/nut milk i can find to agree on an alternative together, but wonder if you have any tips for easing this transition? Sorry for the long post!!!
Old 22-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Master

Good for you!

My advice would be to visit the top vegan sites (Vegan Society being the first stop) to get information on balanced vegan meals. This is where people can fall down. Like any diet, a vegan diet needs to be planned and thought out to ensure adequate levels of protein etc. etc.
Once you've cracked it, there's no looking back!

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 22-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Newbie ;)

Thank you knightofalbion. I understand your point about balanced meals; my first panic was about calcium...it somehow becomes ingrained that it only comes from dairy! I have just signed up to the Vegan Society's 30 day challenge to get their daily tips and recipes, and have trawled our shops for vegan alternatives to family favourites before the big reveal tonight!
Old 13-03-2016, 11:09 AM
Experiencer
I think dairy products are a kind of addiction. I was vegetarian for a few years before I went vegan and skipped the last bit of dairy from my diet: cheese. I used to think there was no life after cheese. But amazingly I did very well without. It turned out my body was able to dump a lot of fat as soon as the cheese went out. So that was a big eye opener for me.
I switched to a plant based diet for health reasons.

I also make my own milk at home with a soy milk machine. It's a lot cheaper that way and much more tastier, because I throw the pulp back into the milk to not lose any of the precious nutritions. I even make it a little thicker with fine oats. Here is a good video on how to use a soy milk machine. I use it for soy, almond, hazelnut and even coconutmilk. It saves a lot of shopping too because you only buy a few bags of nuts and beans every few months or so. Makes shopping a lot easier.

Even when I still used meat I had developed a shortage of calcium in my body. I started using calcium supplements when I started to make my own soymilk. Because then I no longer bought fortified soymilk. I am actually quite happy using supplements. The flexibility in my joints has improved all over my body. When I stop using them I notice my joints fall back a little bit. So I'm ok using calcium every day. And from my experience meat and or dairy didn't deliver enough calcium for the needs of my body.
Old 22-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Experiencer

A gentle salutary transition will be if you take fried tofu and a large number of nuts.