Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Old 17-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Pathfinder

mind the mind

The way mind processes data reflects in its offspring, the computer.
However, the coordination capabilities of latter improve continuously, whereas mind seems to have problems handling the increase of external & internal, objective & subjective data.
More often than not, this is blamed on its hardware, i.e. the physiological aspects, yet rarely on the programs that coordinate the data, despite that many of them are obviously outdated, inefficient, hijacked by emotions and/or malwares which question the capabilities and sometimes even deny the functions of mind, thus impeding the possibility to repair & update its software.
But to alter something requires knowledge and understanding of its structures and dynamics – in this case of the mind. Lamentably, the mind of Sapiens knows more about molecules and galaxies than about itself. Not because Self-knowledge is an impossible task – after all everyone spends a lifetime with/in his/her mind – but because of millennia of systematic self-denial and subjection to external, superior, eternal etc powers called god, fate and whatever else seems suitable to cover up a lack of Self-responsibility.
Admittedly, Self-response-ability can be a pain in the butt – yet it can also be a blessing, as it may entail the realisation that all (external/internal/subjective/ objective) phenomenon are interrelated - and coordinated by/in the mind…
Old 09-06-2018, 01:18 AM
Seeker
I like the comparison; I couldn't agree more.
Old 23-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Pathfinder

“Being great enough to pervade the whole Universe, mind should not be busied with trivialities ” (Hui Neng)

If useless things do not clutter your mind, you have the best days of your life. (Zen saying)
Old 23-09-2019, 06:41 PM
Master

What do you propose / suggest?
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 24-09-2019, 07:52 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
What do you propose / suggest?

I would suggest that one thing the computer cannot do (at least not yet) is to imagine. I further suggest that the whole reason we are here is the result or the aim of being able to imagine.

The universe needs imagination to divert itself into as yet endless and varied experiences.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 24-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Pathfinder

Mind is the mother of imagination.

The mind invokes the universe – the universe nourishes the mind.

Passive mind relies upon a reality – creative/active mind relies upon its imagination.
Old 25-09-2019, 08:28 AM
Master

My intention was to point out that your comparison of the mind (however you care to define it) with a computer software leaves out imagination, as far as I know the present software cannot yet envisage - unless input is given.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 25-09-2019, 02:18 PM
Pathfinder

My intention was to point out the need to cultivate self-response-ability.
Imagination is not necessary - a balanced diet of metaphysics, intellect and common sense will do.
Old 16-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
My intention was to point out that your comparison of the mind (however you care to define it) with a computer software leaves out imagination, as far as I know the present software cannot yet envisage - unless input is given.
But we are on the cusp of artificial intelligence.

Computers are binary but just imagine what an analog computer could do.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 16-10-2019, 03:20 PM
Kioma

Quote:
Originally Posted by waechter418
My intention was to point out the need to cultivate self-response-ability.
Imagination is not necessary - a balanced diet of metaphysics, intellect and common sense will do.
I think the human mind may be much more complex than you think.

It's true that Artificial Intelligence (AI) has been an exploding field in the last decade. What is meant by AI is that a computer is able to make a 'reasoned choice' based on incomplete data, and with such applications as facial recognition technology or self driving cars or many others digital computers are proving capable. The truth is however that the 'intelligence' exhibited by such programs are barely more than a common insect. Yes, we are able to build computers that can handle enormous data sets and enormously more difficult tasks than any insect would face, but at the heart of it is very little actual intellect.

When we consider the human intellect why becomes clear. Clearly it is our capacities for reflection and planning that have given us such an advantage. By reflection is meant the capacity to create an entire mental 'virtual world' representing events and situations, and to critically weigh those events and situations against idealized events and situations, which are yet again an entire other 'virtual world'. By planning is meant the ability to take our 'virtual world' and project goals and actions into the future, again as informed by that idealized virtual world created completely in our minds.

This 'virtual world' is our imagination. It is both our greatest weakness and our greatest strength. Our very idea of self depends on it, but we can also get lost in it too, somewhere making the disastrous decision that it is our idea of reality that IS reality, thereby losing touch with what actually exists outside of our virtual worlds.

Why it is so critical is not hard to visualize. Anyone who has stood between two mirrors has seen their reflection reflected back and forth in each mirror seemingly into infinity. This is how our mind works, the 'reflection into infinity' our imagination continually building the 'virtual world' that is the space between the two mirrors, creating a moment of now that is our very awareness itself. The imagination is also the mechanism of our creativity and our dreams, for when we are dreaming are we not experiencing a 'virtual world'? Even in deep meditation, when we are able to 'shut down' the 'virtual world' program, the two mirrors are still there, creating the space in time that is I AM.

Computers at some point may be able to be self aware, but it will take a LOT of hardware to do this, with many subsystems that are complete computer systems in themselves. Digital computers have gone technologically about as far as they can go. Analog computers have been around for many decades, and though good at what they do, are no match for a digital computer. The next revolution to come, with a prototype already built and functioning, is quantum computing. Real artificial intelligence may be coming faster than you think.

But to your point, modern humans have been around for about 200,000 years, but it is only in the last 400 years or so that their modern expansion and complete subjugation of the earth really took off. This coincides with the invention of modern science. Science, in this context, is a method for distinguishing reality from imagination. Think about that. Starting about ten millennia ago we have managed to have some success at farming and city building, for the simple reason that we started cooperating with each other, at least in small groups, though we've also had a few great civilizations. But for nearly 200,000 years we were squatting in caves for most of it, towards the end scratching out some bit of security for ourselves, but then we invent science and we literally take over the earth.

Yes, the power of the imagination can be a huge hindrance - and it can also be a great power. One just needs apply intelligence and awareness and yes self-responsibility in using imagination to realize it's positive potential.

Last edited by Kioma : 16-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.