Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Aromatherapy

Old 30-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Knower
Can't smell, but can aromatherapy still help?

I was born with no sense of smell. Thankfully I can still taste food/drinks :) It doesn't bother me I can't smell but I wonder, can essestial oils still help if you can't smell? Has it worked for any of you that can't smell/smell well? I did take a lavender salt bath recently, and it did seem relaxing, but I guess it can still work if I can't smell? I used chakra oils, I can't smell them but apparently they smell strong to others lol. I guess with chakra oils I probably should just use one chakra oil once a day, instead of using all seven one after another :P

What's weird, if something is REALLY strong like bathroom sprays, perfume, I can sometimes feel it in my nose (makes me gag).
Old 04-09-2017, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
There are qualities in essential oils and herbs which are absorbed by the skin.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Knower
Ah okay, thanks that makes sense :) Thanks for replying.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM
Master
Missed this one! Like Tobi has mentioned, a really good way is to rub oils into the soles of your feet ~ obviously, it's safer to use a carrier oil when doing this :)
Old 06-06-2018, 01:53 AM
Newbie ;)

Never thought about this! Interesting. My dad was in an accident a year ago that lefthim without the ability to smell, but he still uses essentail oils topically!
Old 29-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Master
Hi AquariusSun.

Sorry I missed this, hope you do still come around here and see it.

A suggestion I can think of but will be up to you and your preferences, would be a combination of chamomile and peppermint tea to help with your sense of smell and sinuses.

Burning peppermint oil and other herbal oils too may have an effect, especially a physical one, especially too in the case of peppermint.

Like I said this will be your choice and up to you, but it may help. I realize not everyone loves herbal teas.

I recently had a very terrible cold- almost felt like pneumonia, and had a lot of trouble sensing, especially smelling. I wanted to clear this up and tried a combination of chamomile and peppermint tea thinking it may help with sinuses and a cold.

I could smell again within an hour of sipping on the tea.

I came to look into it later on, and peppermint is a medicinal remedy and prevention for tuberculosis, it worked like a charm with my cold. Combining the chamomile aids in relaxation, and aids in the relaxation as well and therefore with the muscles, which in turn allowed my lungs to relax, take in adequate air.

That said there is no reason you can not benefit still from aromatherapy despite the dulled sense of smell. When diffused some herbs have physical medicinal qualities such as camphor, eucalyptus, etc.

As well as that like Tobi said, there are qualities as well which are absorbed by the skin.

Many herbs can actually be quite good for the skin, aloe, plants with E, A, and D vitamins- a bit more care on some D vitamin enriched plants though- especially if sensitive to the sun.

Hope this helps, or that at the least you by some way, see it.

Blessings.
Old 13-02-2019, 08:33 PM
Master
yes, essential oil molecules are inhaled through the nose and go to the brain and into the bloodstream whether your sense of smell is intact or not I should think. I second what Saturnine says and think there is the possibility of your sense of smell being restored at some point, but that is good you are content without it too.

There is some interesting science about essential oils, I happen to have one article up in another tab that talks a little about it, with the sesquiterpenes and stuff. they can penetrate the blood brain barrier, which is pretty awesome. so you see it doesn't require you being able to literally smell them for them to work their magic hehe

https://livelovefruit.com/10-essenti...rain-injuries/

Of course using the oils topically, especially on the soles of your feet, is a great approach too. You get the benefit of the skin absorption, and you're still smelling them on you so it's going into your brain and bloodstream that way additionally. It's said that when you put oils on the bottom of your feet, which actually have the biggest pores of the body, in a matter of twenty minutes I believe it is, pretty much every cell is exposed to the oil!

That is really interesting you were born without a sense of smell. and yeah you are right to react negatively to bathroom sprays and perfumes, most are so full of toxic compounds it is devastating.. though wearing essential oils can even help us ward off some of the exposure of those negative compounds I'd think in multiple ways.
Old 16-03-2019, 08:54 PM
Seeker

The next time you get a stuffy nose, try to inhale eucalyptus essential oil and see if it clears your sinuses. If it does, then yes the oils can still affect you through your nasal passages without a sense of smell