Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Paganism

Old 13-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Neville

21st December:triple event.

The winter solstice occurs on 21 December, the shortest day of the year ( in the Northern hemisphere) also coincides with a full moon and a lunar eclipse this year,

The significance of a Full Moon is often regarded as important to Astrologers and Pagans. We already know it effects the female menstrual cycle and it’s effects on the tides of the oceans of the earth has long been known. There are at least 86 known Moon deities ranging from Artemis in Greek mythology to the Zorya in Slavic mythology. Without doubt the Moon has played a significant part in our cultural past and even now has a biological significance that can be seen in the word in lunacy which if taken literally pertains to the moon.

The Winter Solstice is the shortest day of the year. This too has a significance in so far as it is a pivotal point in the year. Our ancestors were really big on the mid winter sunrise. It is the only day of the year that the sun illuminates the 5000 year old burial chamber at Newgrange in Ireland’s boyne valley. Modern day Pagans and Wiccan’s celebrate the festival of Yule on this date.

Eclipses have long held meaning to human civilization. In Rome it was customary to yell in order to drive away the demons that cast their shadow across the moon. The Chinese thought the Moon was being eaten by a wild animal and so they rang bells loudly to frighten of the cosmic predator. Eclipses too have played a very significant part in our racial and cultural memories.

As we have grown more rational as a society and less superstitious, I cannot help wondering how magical this triple whammy on the upcoming December 21st would have been regarded by our Ancestors and just how special and significant it will be to present day Pagan’s and Wiccan’s.

With all these buzzing energies and influences, this solstice could be really magical.

To those of you who celebrate Yule, may it be special in every way.
Old 14-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Time

Thanks neville. I posted something on this as well, yours is much simpler LOL.

I thought the eclpise was on the 20th?? Still, it should be an interesting night...
Old 14-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Neville

It might be a geographical thing Time. In our neck of the woods the eclipse is most certainly at Yule

http://www.eclipse-live.com/?lang=en
Old 08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Knower
I don't quite celebrate Yule, I do celebrate my birthday.
Yep, the supposed 'doomsday' is on my birthday, December 21st.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Master
Yule is the eve of Dec 20/21st
Old 09-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Arlan Lares

Quote:
As we have grown more rational as a society and less superstitious, I cannot help wondering how magical this triple whammy on the upcoming December 21st would have been regarded by our Ancestors and just how special and significant it will be to present day Pagan’s and Wiccan’s.

There's a false dichotomy widely accepted in our society: one must either be logical OR spiritual. It is nonsense. Some forms of spirituality can be alogical, for example. Other spiritual beliefs are based upon a form of evidence - personal experience. Not everyone has to take my personal experiences as compelling evidence. But I take issue with the idea that *I* should dismiss my own experiences as worthless or not empirical, merely because they don't convince others! It is not as though I go knocking on doors trying to persuade anyone else.

Quote:
With all these buzzing energies and influences, this solstice could be really magical.

I certainly hope so. :)
Old 09-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Master
This is about the last solstice, yes? The one on Dec 21, 2010.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Master
More significant festival before then. Samhain, the day of the dead.