Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 21-05-2017, 07:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Necromancer
There is really no such thing as the now.
Even if we break each second down to milliseconds and nanoseconds, every moment has either passed or is yet to come.
Seconds and moments have to do with time. 'Now' has little to do with time. Now can be a moment in time, several moments in time, or a moment without time.

Quote:
If there is such thing as the now, it will be to exist outside of time itself, where there is no past, present or future.
Exactly.

Quote:
Such a state of awareness is only possible after one has attained samadhi.
For one in the Samadhi state, there is no now nor any time.
Old 21-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Master
As far as I understand it, those people who are saying to 'live/exist in the now', just means not to think or ponder too much about past events which may invoke feelings of regret or future events which may invoke feelings of worry...just surrender these thoughts and feelings to the 'there's nothing I can do about it either way' and let the grass grow by itself.
Old 21-05-2017, 05:56 PM
Master

The words we use:-

Time
Past
Present/now
Future
....do have meanings.

Mind tries to use meanings to communicate thoughts or feelings to another mind which then attempts to relate them to its own thoughts and feelings. Back and forth it goes. Though not perfect by any means, the process may, in good faith, nevertheless achieve a feeling of mutual understanding.

We can probably agree about what we mean by the above words which would assist that understanding. For example if we can agree that NOW means somewhere between the past and future without having the difficult if not impossible task of screwing it down any tighter than that, discussion about whether there is anywhere else other than THE NOW which one can be in may be possible. For example enlightenment

Maybe someone can screw it down tighter than that? is only ever alledged. No one would ever know whether they or someone else was in that state or even know what its characteristics were.That may be a big enough subject for a separate thread.

:)
Old 21-05-2017, 11:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
The words we use:-

Time
Past
Present/now
Future
....do have meanings.

Mind tries to use meanings to communicate thoughts or feelings to another mind which then attempts to relate them to its own thoughts and feelings. Back and forth it goes. Though not perfect by any means, the process may, in good faith, nevertheless achieve a feeling of mutual understanding.

We can probably agree about what we mean by the above words which would assist that understanding. For example if we can agree that NOW means somewhere between the past and future without having the difficult if not impossible task of screwing it down any tighter than that, discussion about whether there is anywhere else other than THE NOW which one can be in may be possible. For example enlightenment

Maybe someone can screw it down tighter than that? is only ever alledged. No one would ever know whether they or someone else was in that state or even know what its characteristics were.That may be a big enough subject for a separate thread.

:)

Yep, it's easy - the now is this moment where existence is, as opposed to the past and future which aren't here now. It means the conscious experience is of 'this'. Question being, is one present with the present or are they somewhat distracted and unaware?
Old 22-05-2017, 12:11 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Yep, it's easy - the now is this moment where existence is, as opposed to the past and future which aren't here now. It means the conscious experience is of 'this'. Question being, is one present with the present or are they somewhat distracted and unaware?

you mean I can't be 'present' with the 'past' and still be in the 'now'?

sometimes I think we do a lot of damage to ourselves with all these semantics....
Old 22-05-2017, 03:01 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves

I remember Sailor Bob once saying, "If there is a past, I don't think about it". I dig that saying.

Quote:
sometimes I think we do a lot of damage to ourselves with all these semantics....

To me it's like the question, am I presently consciously aware? Intellectually I know I am, so I'd say of course, but that's not the same as actually checking to find out.
Old 22-05-2017, 03:56 AM
Newbie ;)

Actually, the paradox lies in the fact that the present moment is not of time. It is beyond time and space and can only be revealed when the mind is quiet and there is nothing but the awareness of presence. When we try to understand it as the point between past and future, this is nothing but the mind's concept.
Old 22-05-2017, 06:06 AM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longchen Rabjam
With the past having ceased, future yet to come,
and no remaining in the present, the scope of natural mind
has no foundation or substance.

This expresses that fixation on 'the now' or 'presence' is a great error. It is driven by a sentiment of self being affirmed as truth.
Past is recollection in the context of a sentiment of self. Future is speculation in the context of a sentiment of self.
So it is about self which is being affirmed as truth by advaita but negated by buddhism.
Old 26-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves

Yes words words words. But they do have meanings. NOW means the present moment so its not possible to be anywhere else. The past is gone and the future isn't here yet.

There are those who prefer something to do so are attracted to spiritual paths that offer that. They set up objectives for themselves, in this case the possibility to be in the past or the future so they have something to do called getting into the NOW. It is usually of great importance so are opposed to those who have a feeling that things are perfect just as they are despite some pretty awful appearances going on around us. I do not mean to denigrate something to do for those who prefer it but to then undermine those who resonate with perfection right NOW is a suspect, unhelpful, projection. One size does not fit all characters.

Non duality (some versions at least) supports the latter view.
Old 27-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground
This expresses that fixation on 'the now' or 'presence' is a great error. It is driven by a sentiment of self being affirmed as truth.
Past is recollection in the context of a sentiment of self. Future is speculation in the context of a sentiment of self.
So it is about self which is being affirmed as truth by advaita but negated by buddhism.

It depends what is meant by sentiment of self. Some advaitists such as Ramana Maharshi may refer to the Self, but this is very different to the idea of a separate self which has a recollected past and a speculated future. Buddhism and Advaita just have different labels for the same state.

Peace.