Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 22-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Newbie ;)

The OM Chant and my daughter

Hi everyone. I just want to say first that I am inexperienced with meditation, yogi or really many things spiritual. I have always been curious, starting research here and there but getting discouraged because I don't want to open doors I can't close. But, I've recently given birth to a sweet baby girl. She's 10 months now. A few months ago, I saw this cute video with a guy using the OM Chant to calm his baby, and did it myself on a whim, to my daughter to see what she would do. She was fine, happy and smiling, but when I did the chant she got REALLY upset... She was 5 months then. I did it again after a little while out of curiosity, and then realized it really is the chant that makes her upset. 5 months later I thought about it and did it again with the same reaction. It's almost fear. I know better now and don't want to upset her so I'm done with it. But what could this mean?
Old 22-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Deactivated Account

Interesting observation. I suppose It's an indication that she just really doesn't like your chanting, heh, However, I am wondering if the sound is is a trigger from the birthing experience . There are many studies that suggest the birthing experience can be a traumatic one for a new born at the hospital. Not in a dramatic/dangerous sense but the experience of coming out of the womb and into a cold hospital filled with load people and equipment. Maybe there is a sound in the OM that reminds her of that.

Either way, one thing is certain, she is communicating with you her dislikes and likes and that is a wonderful thing for her early development imho.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Clover : 22-06-2017 at 09:15 PM.
Old 24-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Pathfinder
Maybe some unpleasant association from previous life/lives. The universe is mysterious.
Just for the sake of curiosity you can try to play her this cute chant from youtube you mentioned ... and see if she reacts in the same way.
Old 24-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnblasiann
Hi everyone. I just want to say first that I am inexperienced with meditation, yogi or really many things spiritual. I have always been curious, starting research here and there but getting discouraged because I don't want to open doors I can't close. But, I've recently given birth to a sweet baby girl. She's 10 months now. A few months ago, I saw this cute video with a guy using the OM Chant to calm his baby, and did it myself on a whim, to my daughter to see what she would do. She was fine, happy and smiling, but when I did the chant she got REALLY upset... She was 5 months then. I did it again after a little while out of curiosity, and then realized it really is the chant that makes her upset. 5 months later I thought about it and did it again with the same reaction. It's almost fear. I know better now and don't want to upset her so I'm done with it. But what could this mean?

THB, I don't like it either, but I'm too old to get away with screaming in the face of people who do it.
Old 24-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnblasiann
...But what could this mean?
you're a bad chanter
Old 24-06-2017, 11:03 PM
Experiencer
Maybe its just a sound she's not used to hearing. We don't go around making that sound. When do people ever chant and make OM sounds? So when does she ever hear that other than you doing that? (unless you take her to meditation places and such) Maybe it scares her because she doesn't know what to make of it. It'd probably freak me out if someone started making weird noises that I never heard before at me. How is she supposed to act?
Old 25-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Knower
well OM suppose to put you in a state, and i'm assuming when you do it to her you are laying down and she's on your chest and she feels the vibrations of the OM thru it (not sure how you actually doing it),but my point is when you doing it it she is relaxed, and you do the OM to her,and it could be putting her in a different state where she's experiencing something (babys are super sensitive to this stuff). Anyway she probably experiencing something horrid, it could be a number of things............ wow lost my train of thought feels like I'm just mumbling on.
That cannot fly.
Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow

*Langston Hughes*
Old 25-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Experiencer
sorry if I came off a bit crude up there, I should be more careful about that