Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 13-08-2011, 09:43 AM
not human

Most of us indulge in addictive behaviour of some sort. Some really obvious, put in place to 'cover up' pain or even to the extreme.... addictive thought.
Addiction only becomes uncomfortable when it stops working...which invariably it always does.
Old 13-08-2011, 09:52 AM
reconhell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topology
Who is supposed to be in control?

(Please note: answering "my self" is not a real answer because we're talking about what controls the self, appetites and desires, or something else? What is that something else?)

What is the point of control?

Have you ever gotten tired of trying to control things?

In most people the ego is in control. And to some extent also in me. Sure the ego get's tired of trying control the things it wants to run loose.

But your conciousness, your true self should be controlling you. That's what's all about I think, surpassing the ego.

Im sort of addicted to sex, videogames but not because I cannot go without, but more like why should I go without when I can experience it and like this experience.
And as for violence in movies and games I have perspective for it, and I know none of it matters, it's all illusion. But at the same time I might suspect it affects out subconcious and so partaking in them might be disadvantageous for my state of being. Is it to escape reality? maybe but I can find 100 other things to do, 100 other addictions? lol. Or maybe this is all wordplay? I can become addicted to anything I want.. sports, reading, listening music and so on. Hmm but since I have been gaming for a great part of my life it has become part of my habit/life/normal.

I have been stopping with gaming/movies for 2 weeks now.And when I leave it I do feel some physical uncomfort,missing,yearning in my belly/stomach. Though it's not out of control. As long as I can replace it with ANY activity I won't really miss it. The problem is I can't think of any activity other then meditating but meditating is so troubling for me still. (I don't work so im always free) I do notice my interest in gaming has subsided somewhat over the years... only fewer games interest me(then before) and it seems less satisfying, maybe because it isn't so "new" anymore.

I do have to say I did for a time, play alot of videogames to quiet my mind, since I do EXCESSIVE thinking, I think like ALOT more then a normal person does, and it's out of control. I tried meditating alot over the last year, but at best get a few seconds silence and doesn't seem to increase, hard time focussing, my attention drifts away or fall asleep etc. Not to mention I have backproblems it's painful to sit with a straightspine.

So yeahh I have my doubts if I should give up videogames/sex pleasures etc.

One part of me says yes it's unavoidable, the other part says it might be but not perse.
Old 13-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Topology

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconhell
In most people the ego is in control. And to some extent also in me. Sure the ego get's tired of trying control the things it wants to run loose.

The Ego is the puppet that lashes out at anyone that tries to cut the strings to its current puppeteer. When you are in the midst of self-gratification and someone comes along to scold you for it, it is the ego that rears its head and says "Screw off, you, and let me pleasure myself." It is the appetite that is in control and the ego is the defense pattern of the control mechanism.

Quote:
But your conciousness, your true self should be controlling you. That's what's all about I think, surpassing the ego.

What is the nature and character of that consciousness? How do you change your orientation from feeding your baser desire to feeding the desires of consciousness?

Quote:
I do have to say I did for a time, play alot of videogames to quiet my mind, since I do EXCESSIVE thinking, I think like ALOT more then a normal person does, and it's out of control. I tried meditating alot over the last year, but at best get a few seconds silence and doesn't seem to increase, hard time focusing, my attention drifts away or fall asleep etc. Not to mention I have back problems it's painful to sit with a straight spine.

I'm not here to tell you what is right or wrong or what to do or not do. I just have my annoying questions.

Like:

For all that excessive thinking, do you feel it has gotten you anywhere?
Old 14-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by moke64916
Or put a direct link to website.

reconhell does not have enough posts to do that yet.
Old 14-08-2011, 10:10 PM
de.spin

more or less that's how I see it:

addiction happens

there is nobody who can do anything about it

it can be enjoyed, or it can be fought

enjoying or fighting, these things just happen as well, interchanging themselves sometimes

it can be sex, drugs, internet, wine, meditation techniques, counselling sessions, mantras...

I really don't see anything wrong in addictions. they happen. they come and they go. nothing to worry about it...