Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 24-07-2020, 09:32 AM
Master

Expectations

No doubt seekers vary in their expectation of what the end of the spiritual search may be like for them, or who may feel that this has already been achieved, or know of some descriptions by others, perhaps Guru's. It would be interesting to hear some of those descriptions.
Old 24-07-2020, 03:02 PM
Master

Is not expectation or anticipation an attribute of lower mind? Imaginary. Each actual revelation is far more wondrous than the concept we started out with. Therefore, letting go, in an aspect of surrender, trusting the life force current may be best.

Old 24-07-2020, 03:21 PM
Master

is that an expectation?
Old 24-07-2020, 04:32 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamit
No doubt seekers vary in their expectation of what the end of the spiritual search may be like for them, or who may feel that this has already been achieved, or know of some descriptions by others, perhaps Guru's. It would be interesting to hear some of those descriptions.

philosophically, I have to ask the question, if I postulate an end, what happens after that? It seems like the common answer is to just die. So it seems like that is what the end of any spiritual search must be: death.
Old 24-07-2020, 06:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
philosophically, I have to ask the question, if I postulate an end, what happens after that? It seems like the common answer is to just die. So it seems like that is what the end of any spiritual search must be: death.

Various words are used to describe the end of the search, such as Enlightenment, Realization, or Awakening to name a few. What those words mean to seekers/Guru's would be interesting to know.
Old 24-07-2020, 06:24 PM
Master
Here on Earth and after death, expectations and anticipations can get in the way of us seeing and experiencing what really is. We expect things to come to us one way but they may come another way, and because we are only looking for them to come one way we may miss them coming at all.

I have helped many people die; as a army combat medic in Vietnam, later a civilian ambulance EMT, and still later a nurse working in the emergency room, burn unit, and in a hospice. Some who were about to die talked about how their life went by so quickly, and I came to realize that most who said this lived their entire life in the desires and dreams for tomorrow and the memories of yesterday. They did not live in the moment where life was happening, and life went by without them, seemingly going by very quickly.

I would tell people on their deathbed to stay in the moment, with no expectations or anticipations, because those things take a person away from the moment. Participate in the death of your physical body by quieting your mind and being with death as it happens. But I have also learned that most people prefer fantasy to reality; in this regard fantasy is what I imagine, expect and anticipate, and reality takes place in the quiet momemt.
Old 24-07-2020, 06:53 PM
Master

Quote:
Various words are used to describe the end of the search, such as Enlightenment, Realization, or Awakening to name a few. What those words mean to seekers/Guru's would be interesting to know.

it is hard to say anything real when you're not all the way there already. And I'm not. But I suppose you would see through concepts like happiness or suffering as just being concepts, without all the meaning we ascribe to them.
Old 24-07-2020, 09:29 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
Here on Earth and after death, expectations and anticipations can get in the way of us seeing and experiencing what really is. We expect things to come to us one way but they may come another way, and because we are only looking for them to come one way we may miss them coming at all.

I have helped many people die; as a army combat medic in Vietnam, later a civilian ambulance EMT, and still later a nurse working in the emergency room, burn unit, and in a hospice. Some who were about to die talked about how their life went by so quickly, and I came to realize that most who said this lived their entire life in the desires and dreams for tomorrow and the memories of yesterday. They did not live in the moment where life was happening, and life went by without them, seemingly going by very quickly.w
I would tell people on their deathbed to stay in the moment, with no expectations or anticipations, because those things take a person away from the moment. Participate in the death of your physical body by quieting your mind and being with death as it happens. But I have also learned that most people prefer fantasy to reality; in this regard fantasy is what I imagine, expect and anticipate, and reality takes place in the quiet momemt.

If we are to avoid the hassle of working out whether we are in the now or not, lets hope there is no alternative to being in the now cause all thoughts and feelings about the past or future occur in the now:):)
Old 24-07-2020, 10:34 PM
Master

Quote:
If we are to avoid the hassle of working out whether we are in the now or not, lets hope there is no alternative to being in the now cause all thoughts and feelings about the past or future occur in the now:):)

that may be true but it also seems true you can let such thoughts blur your vision so you don't see what is right in front of you.
Old 24-07-2020, 10:39 PM
Master
Quote:

To be sure, have no thoughts and center our feelings, as thoughts and feelings may occur in the now but when we are focused on our thoughts and feelings we are not focusing on the now. There is and eternal now, one continuous now, which can be perceived, but thoughts break that eternal now into increments of now that we associate with time.

When I awaken from sleep I usually have no thoughts and that is a great time to go right into quiet meditation, which helps me maintain that inner silence, that continuous now, most of the day. I only think when I need to think, as thinking is a tool that if we do not learn how to use, it will use us. I have seen lots of people with thought disorders and people who are dragged around by their thoughts; generally their mind, or thinking process, is going 24/7.

Quieting our mind helps to give it a break, just like our physical body and emotions need a break. The mind is a wonderful thing, that can also drive us crazy if we let it. The function of the human mind is to compare and contrast, it primarily focuses on the past and future; memories and desires, but when we quiet our mind we can truly, without question, live in the moment, the eternal moment. As I am sure many have noticed, regardless how old you may be, it is always now.