Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 12-07-2020, 05:00 AM
Master
Mindfulness vs. Being-Present

Until recently I thought that Mindfulness was more or less the same thing as Being Present/Being in the Now.

Hints in the last year suggest they are different. As I have little to no formal training in either I can not be sure.

I have long been 'Mindful', or so I thought. Seems more like I have been Present ...

My current idea about these are as follows:
Mindfulness: focusing on one's current activity, ideally to the point of not being distracted by anything else.
Being Present: fully being aware of one's senses and internal state, none are of particular interest. Action may occur in regards to something, ideally without getting distracted by the action and loosing awareness of anything.
Being in the Now: Basically the same as Being Present, except for beginners there is an emphasis on not getting distracted by the past or future.

There is good change I am wrong or misinformed. That is why I started this topic, to find out.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:10 AM
Master

mindfulness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein
Until recently I thought that Mindfulness was more or less the same thing as Being Present/Being in the Now.

Hints in the last year suggest they are different. As I have little to no formal training in either I can not be sure.

I have long been 'Mindful', or so I thought. Seems more like I have been Present ...

Mindfulness: focusing on one's current activity, ideally to the point of not being distracted by anything else.
Being Present: fully being aware of one's senses and internal state, none are of particular interest. Action may occur in regards to something, ideally without getting distracted by the action and loosing awareness of anything.
Being in the Now: Basically the same as Being Present, except for beginners there is an emphasis on not getting distracted by the past or future.

There is good change I am wrong or misinformed. That is why I started this topic, to find out.

Here is my understanding .

mindfulness - this is very important and very complex . It is being aware the same thing from diverse perspectives of all stake holders for the situation on hand . As the situation keeps changing from moment to moment , place to place , situation to situation and person to person - achieving 100% scoring on this is next to impossible .

Being present - It is being in place and situation where u are . e.g. I am working in office and I think of myself in my home , I am not being present in current place/situation .

Being in the now - as u correctly pointed being in the moment (not in the past or future )

Last edited by HITESH SHAH : 12-07-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 17-07-2020, 06:48 PM
Knower

there is no right or wrong answer.
it also comes down to language, and how we translate something for ourself, based on our own needs and experiences.

recently I realized the difference between being
present in the moment vs. present in my self.

I am great at being in the moment, not so in myself, which allows the moment to carry me away with it. (amazing, and makes me fun and spontaneous)
but presence in myself is a connection into my own state, which means the moment won't carry me, but I can go along with it if I want.
the presence in self for me is a calm state, I recognize my self as thinking and feeling and a physical body too. but I am not any of them while I am all of them.
there's a lightness I enjoy.

mindfulness is a present state too, similar to being in the moment.
an observance of what's around.

recently I also came across the concept of
hurtfulness vs mindfulness, and in that state it is my heart that's the perceiver and one focusing on task or environment.
so I don't approach the dishes with intent, but rather with joy and love.
I am washing them for my self and for my clean kitchen, and its a happy task.

cheers
f
Old 17-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstein

Those are tools to achieve something else: means to an end. I believe each nomenclature tries to better define what to do, how to focus, in order to go through, to access knowledge and guidance. In most ways I disagree with the wanderer's motto "It's the Journey, Not the Destination".
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 17-07-2020, 08:10 PM
Master

There is a lot of emphasis nowadays on mindfulness, which undoubtedly has many benefits.

But maybe being truly present in the Now requires a state of mindlessness.

Peace
Old 17-07-2020, 10:40 PM
Master

maybe what is really required is not to go running about here or there where you think the answer lies, but just shut down the words and quit trying to discriminate between one thing and another. Although I guess the really hearty would just interpret that as another place to go.... can't win for losing I guess.
Old 18-07-2020, 01:51 AM
Master
Thanks for the replies so far.

As one who has reached inner silence most of the time and is doing fairly well at 'being', such states as presence can persist without any doing (or focus).

My offline inquiries seem to be supporting that the two are indeed slightly different, with the principle difference being the 'focus' part. Consensus is that getting swept away in the moment, the past, the future, or doing can happen from either.
Old 18-07-2020, 09:50 AM
Knower

sorry I mis-spelt earlier

Heartful-ness is the state I wanted to bring forward.
as an alternative to 'mindfulness'.

and this state brings me closer to a presence with myself, and not just a presence in my self.

happy meditations, and best of luck with all

F
Old 28-07-2020, 01:32 PM
1337_d00d

I think a restless mind or what is dubbed as "not being in the moment" is due to unsolved "sins" or blocks in the energy field. That means you have to work with your energy body to solve these.
Old 30-07-2020, 06:34 AM
Master
yeah, mindfulness is a big topic, but it's more like being presently aware with what's going on as opposed to distracted by mental reactions etc - but from there it's a long conversation rather than anything so simply defined