Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM
32silver

Help me find my spirituality and religion

I was hoping people could help me find a religion i used to be catholic
What i would like to do is take each religion and apply it to my life
Im nit sure if this is wise?
But im sure each religion has something i can use in my daily life
Please help me get the answers
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Ascender

What is it about religion that attracts you?

Are you looking for wisdom? Life principles and values to live by? Community?

Or simply identity? -- which, I suppose you can find in something outside yourself, but seems a roundabout way to approach it.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Deactivated Account
Spiritual beliefs are not something you go shopping for.
Nobody can do anything except give you theirs.
To find what you seek, seek Reality.
And learn to recognize it.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Deactivated Account
My beliefs are simply that...my beliefs. I have mine, you have yours. Some beliefs are widely popular, and some most people view as "way out there" and are only held by a few. But it always comes down to you forming your own beliefs. I have spent many years -- since I was a child -- trying on differing religions and spiritual practices. Ten years or so ago, I discovered that for myself, an organized religion was not what I needed or wanted. I then started reading works by teachers/masters and meditating regularly. After several years, I discovered that I have very few beliefs...although one of my very strong beliefs is that "anything is possible"...and that I do not need to follow anyone/anything because we all have the answers inside (although there are people further along the spiritual path and sometimes I hear/read something they share that resonates within and I am grateful for their insight). I also believe, that for myself, I do not need to adopt another person's belief or have even one other person validate my belief in order for it to be meaningful to myself.

So, I guess I'm saying that I found the most helpful/useful practices to be meditation, self-reflection, self-inquiry, living mindfully, expressing gratitude...it's all up to what feels right for you
Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Greenslade

The Sufis have a saying that goes something like it doesn't matter what you believe in as long as you believe, all belief goes to God. When I started this Journey a wise man said to me "Take what resonates with you as your own and leave the rest behind."

You have all the religion you need - your own. You've jumped out of one box, don't be so keen to jump into another one. When people find their own Light this Universe truly begins to shine.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by code_red31
I was hoping people could help me find a religion i used to be catholic
What i would like to do is take each religion and apply it to my life
Im nit sure if this is wise?
But im sure each religion has something i can use in my daily life
Please help me get the answers

Trying to apply each religion to your life, will do more harm than good.
I've always had the notion that if everyone removed their beliefs and judgements, then there would be harmony (oneness).

Start with something simple like Buddhism. Or even Taoism.
Go to a bookshop and get Osho's Tao: The Pathless Path. Absolutely wonderful material.

That will be a fantastic foundation. Not one of these are beliefs, but they are a spiritual foundation. And work from there.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Master
You go your way Code. remember that all religions are frameworks, within which we can develop towards the end goal (God). My advice would be to find one that appeals to you and totally immerse yourself in it, find a teacher in that religion or path who resonates with you and follow that path.
Ultimately all paths lead to the same goal.
Many people on here criticize religion, but for many people, they need the structure to develop properly, other wise they run the risk of developing a path made up soley of things that are palatable to them.
A point comes when people can go beyond religion to travel the final path at a certain point, but most people on here aren`t at that point even if they tell that you they are, most have little or no self discipline, little humility, and really an unclear understanding of their own path. So my friend go your way, pick a structure and grow within it.
I wish you all the blessings available to you
Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Master
"freedom from the known" by j krishnamurti did it for me,,,primarily because it's devoid of personality worship and belief. there is no path or accepted behaviour that guarantees spirituality, this book does not focus on what you should do, i.e. there is no prescription for peace and harmony, but rather it works by default, as in seeing the false, the other automatically is, you do not have to seek it or employ any effort, which is further struggle, at all. awareness frees. but one cannot cultivate awareness...it is there when that which prevents it is seen/understood. la vie negative...the great negation...when you negate what a thing isn't, what it is, remains. basically truth is seen when the operator or doer "ends" and not before. whilst you are "there" psychologically, awareness is not...the ego centre prevents it and colours what is viewed according to its conditioning. awareness occurs when we are not there.

here's the chapter on love. http://www.jkrishnamurti.org/krishna...=48&chid=56793

good luck

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Free_Spirit1983

I've always found that the only "church" that truly leaves me feeling alive and fulfilled is the one I find when being out in nature!

Nature has taught me so much more than a man in robes ever could, the synchronicities, the de-stressing, intuition, the clarity of thought and the guidance of the heart - all these things I've found in nature

But this is my path and I can only speak from my perspective and my life experience..

You need to find what it is that makes you feel alive
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Time

I was in that same boat when I was younger. My thirst for knowledge helped me out though.

IMO the best way is to read, and read, and read some more and discuss. Try your hardest to read credible sources (well say, University papers) or even use wikipedia as a start. Their pages on religion are some of the best non bias sources you can find.

The best piece of advice i can think of is, every religion has the same basis, probably 100 000 years ago or more. They share a common relation, just like all humans do to eachother, and to all other life, non life, and even stars. The fun part is finding those connections.

I would also highly suggest you read up on ecology. It keeps your feet on the ground. Nature worship is also far, far older then any religion we have today....