Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 10-05-2015, 02:59 PM
wanderlusterer

Jesus and buddha both went through the same enlightenment?

I've made posts before linking buddhism and christianity, but this would probably be one of my bolder statements, though I doubt this would surprise many of you, if at all.

Both of them went into deep prayer/meditation and fasting for a period of time (for jesus it was 40 days, for siddhartha the time ranges from 1 day, to 3, or up to 45 days depending on the source). Both also confronted a devil archtype at the end right before enlightenment, for jesus it was the christian satan, for siddhartha it was mara. The temptations were similar as well, with promises of riches and glory to jesus, and women for siddhartha. After all has happened, they go on to begin preaching and teaching.

From this, it would not be too unreasonable to say that jesus was also a buddha? Albeit the term was not available in the middle east areas. The differences in their teachings could also have been due to cultural differences and jesus having to use terms and speak in a fashion to make the community more easily grasp his teachings.

Here it talks about siddhartha's enlightenment:
http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddha/...the-Buddha.htm
Old 10-05-2015, 03:47 PM
celest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusterer
I've made posts before linking buddhism and christianity, but this would probably be one of my bolder statements, though I doubt this would surprise many of you, if at all

Both of them went into deep prayer/meditation and fasting for a period of time (for jesus it was 40 days, for siddhartha the time ranges from 1 day, to 3, or up to 45 days depending on the source). Both also confronted a devil archtype at the end right before enlightenment, for jesus it was the christian satan, for siddhartha it was mara. The temptations were similar as well, with promises of riches and glory to jesus, and women for siddhartha. After all has happened, they go on to begin preaching and teaching

From this, it would not be too unreasonable to say that jesus was also a buddha? Albeit the term was not available in the middle east areas. The differences in their teachings could also have been due to cultural differences and jesus having to use terms and speak in a fashion to make the community more easily grasp his teachings.

Here it talks about siddhartha's enlightenment:
http://buddhism.about.com/od/buddha/...the-Buddha.htm

Yes I have thought this myself, did you see the documentary ' Jesus was a Buddhist monk ' It's very interesting, makes you think....
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Suspended
Okay, yes, Jesus was a Buddha.

Buddha Christos.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:18 PM
celest

If you read the elucidation of the gospel of thomas found at www.gospelofthomas.org, Jesus teaches about enlightenment and how to reach it. It's so similar to the teachings of Buddha, very interesting.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:05 PM
Suspended
Master

double post
Old 10-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Master

I agree about Gautama and Jesus both being Buddhas.
But, a little off-topic, how should Krishna be called?
He was born enlightened and with siddhis. Playing his lila since childhood.
He was not a teacher, but tought Arjuna about his insights only once.
And they were overheard. Lucky us.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 AM
celest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrao
I agree about Gautama and Jesus both being Buddhas.
But, a little off-topic, how should Krishna be called?
He was born enlightened and with siddhis. Playing his lila since childhood.
He was not a teacher, but tought Arjuna about his insights only once.
And they were overheard. Lucky us.

Yes Krishna is a Buddha also.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM
Ascender

There are certainly similarities between the teachings of Jesus & Buddha. I've often wondered whether they could possibly be incarnations of the same soul/spirit. The same argument could possibly be made for the Virgin Mary & Kuan Yin. Even if you're not convinced that Jesus was a Buddha, I don't think you could argue with me that he wasn't the ultimate bodhisattva.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:29 AM
celest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunc
There are certainly similarities between the teachings of Jesus & Buddha. I've often wondered whether they could possibly be incarnations of the same soul/spirit. The same argument could possibly be made for the Virgin Mary & Kuan Yin. Even if you're not convinced that Jesus was a Buddha, I don't think you could argue with me that he wasn't the ultimate bodhisattva.

I agree with you 100% that Jesus was a Buddha, as for Mary & Kuan Yin....I hadn't really thought about that but it's interesting, I must delve into that more, thanks. I had thought about them both being incarnations but still haven't made my mind up yet Enlightenment seems to have been a teaching very important to each of them, so it's possible they are either incarnations or Jesus studied Buddhism which I find highly likely. Food for thought all of it.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by celest
I agree with you 100% that Jesus was a Buddha, as for Mary & Kuan Yin....I hadn't really thought about that but it's interesting, I must delve into that more, thanks. I had thought about them both being incarnations but still haven't made my mind up yet Enlightenment seems to have been a teaching very important to each of them, so it's possible they are either incarnations or Jesus studied Buddhism which I find highly likely. Food for thought all of it.

There's a book called the "missing years of Jesus ". I don't know who wrote it & I haven't read it. But I've heard that it claims that Jesus studied buddhism somewhere between the ages of 12 & 30. Jesus life is not covered in the bible between these years so it is a real possibility.