Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Healing

Old 17-04-2018, 10:44 PM
Ascender

It's a brain condition - it's psychological / spiritual crisis - it's sociological / traumagenic.

???

What is it?

Here's some other good ones - schizophrenia is a very serious no fault illness / brain condition - schizophrenia is lack of self responsibility, a problem in living & moral failing - schizophrenia is a made up social construct, doesn't exist & mental illness is a myth created by biomedical psychiatry - psychiatric medication is vital & theraputic - psychiatric medication is unnecessary & a poison. You can be sure that any opinion you could ever conceive of around it all will have already been thought up & written about.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Ascender

The independent review of
the Mental Health Act
Interim report

[UK]

Thanks to pressure from campaigners, last autumn the Government set up an Independent Review of the Mental Health Act.

The Review has now published its interim report. It confirms what we have long known: that there are serious problems with the Mental Health Act. People who have been detained under the Act tell us that the law fails to protect their rights or dignity and excludes them from decisions about their care. The Review team has clearly heard the same message.

This is a landmark moment. We have a once-in-a generation opportunity to improve the Act, for those detained under it and those who care about them.

We need an Act that puts the person front and centre, ensuring they are listened to, informed and able to a have a real say.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...01_05_2018.pdf
Old 02-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Ascender

Petition to the World Health Organization and American Psychiatric Association to drop the highly stigmatizing, scientifically-challenged term "schizophrenia"

Please Share and Consider Signing the Petition

Supported by the International Society for Psychological and Social
Approaches to Psychosis
The term "schizophrenia" has become synonymous with dangerousness even though it is a very small minority of persons with this diagnosis who violently hurt others and this may be explained better by the following factors: male gender, young adulthood, misuse of substances, homelessness, having been exposed to violence, sense of powerlessness, helplessness, stigma, etc. There is research showing social and communication disorganization if a person believes the person she or he is speaking to knows their diagnosis.The term is also associated with non-recoverability. Dangerousness and non-recoverability seem to be hard-wired into the diagnosis. The term encompasses a heterogeneous group of people with different symptoms, etiologies, course and outcomes. It is a static, traumatizing and stigmatizing term for those persons given it. It often takes away hope and a sense of agency because people are told that they have a genetic brain disease. Hope, ongoing social and peer support, and a sense of agency and self-efficacy are needed to facilitate reovery. Nine world outcome studies and the World Health Organization studies on "schizophrenia" demonstrate substantial recoveries. People have a better chance of recovery when given good care that is acceptable to them. Genes, epigenetics, neurobiology, body, mind and environment (including the environment of our ancestors), and the meanings given to our experiences all interact to contribute to a particular syndrome, whether it is "schizophrenia" or major depressive disorder. The brain is a biological organ embedded in and altered by a continuum of causes and effects.

Perhaps, many of the neurobiological findings in "schizophrenia," which are often non-specific and can not be used for diagnosis, could be better explained to be the result of chronic stress, relational and social traumas, social isolation/exclusion, social defeat, economic adversities, low self-esteem/shame, stigma, prenatal stress, migration (particularly from a non-white to a white environment), urban birth/living, low impact SNPs & CNVs (single nucleotide polymorphisms and copy number variants), epigenetic changes to gene expression, the effects of first and second generation antipsychotics (e.g., the Iowa Longitudinal Study), etc. African Americans are about 3-fold more likely than whites to be diagnosed with "schizophrenia." Social adversity can become biologically embedded and result in epigenetic changes to gene expression, which may be potentially transmitted across generations. Japan (integration disorder), Hong Kong and Taiwan (cognitive-perceptual dysregulation/dysfunction) and South Korea (attunement disorder) have dropped the term "schizophrenia" from their psychiatric nosology. Surveys in Japan have shown that service recipients and professionals alike are pleased with the change. Prominent psychiatrists such as Robin Murray in the UK and Jim van Os in The Netherlands have presented strong and convincing arguments as to why this term should be dropped. The editor of the prestigious journal Schizophrenia Bulletin has also recently wondered whether the term should be replaced. I believe the time is now to drop this stigmatizing, hope-disabling, scientifically controversial term which is saturated with various myths about non-recoverability and dangerousness.

Please consider signing my petition to the World Health Organization and American Psychiatric Association to drop the highly stigmatizing, scientifically-challenged term "schizophrenia."

Thank you,
Brian Koehler

https://www.change.org/p/american-ps...5/v4/644737274
Old 15-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Ascender

Bit of an update on my own situation.

2018 has been a very hard year. i had to increase the medication again to 400mg of the Amisulpride. That has helped to some degree.

i have ceased formal / regular contact with all healers / psychics, & feel that i need to focus more on my own path with it all.
Old 15-12-2018, 09:40 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Being
Bit of an update on my own situation.

2018 has been a very hard year. i had to increase the medication again to 400mg of the Amisulpride. That has helped to some degree.

i have ceased formal / regular contact with all healers / psychics, & feel that i need to focus more on my own path with it all.

i feel that it's a case of accepting that there is a no fault severe illness / condition, & accepting the diagnosis & medication / treatment. 17 years of working with alternative healers & self help has Not resolved / cured the condition. The 'self care' industry is no substitute for real care, fairness, rights, addressing poverty etc.

NOVEMBER 26, 2018
SELF-CARE WON’T SAVE US

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/...e-wont-save-us

i don't know where i go from here - i am Not well enough to work & the UK welfare 'reforms' & Austerity have been & are a Nightmare.

Universal Discredit -

https://kittysjones.wordpress.com/20...sal-discredit/

i was discussing where all this has lead over 10 years ago, people didn't listen.

With regards to my own learning, progress, spiritual path & practise i plod on with it all.
Old 15-12-2018, 10:20 AM
Ascender

All the same / depressing news from the field of rights for the disabled / mentally ill -

Mental Health Act review ‘falls significantly short on human rights’ -

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...-human-rights/

The Mental Health Act: An Alternative Review from Hearing Voices England

https://hearingvoicescymru.org/the-m...oices-england/

Disappointed by this and Simon Wessely saying UN convention recommendations 'go too far.' Who are they going too far for? Mental distress is an illness as much as any other and vulnerable people deserve the protection of full human rights.

Police targeting of disabled protesters is ‘an outrage and a scandal… and it’s set to spread’

BY JOHN PRING ON DECEMBER 13, 2018

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...set-to-spread/

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.co...ng-protesters/
Old 25-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Ascender

i hate this Word / society / system / 'civilisation' & i hate 98% of people.

i hate Christmas - i find it a very bad time of year - so much heightened utter hypocrisy.

i dread to think what increased horrors are in store for this Hell planet / Slave farm / Alien Matrix Control System in 2019, Not that the sheep seem too effected by it all.
Old 25-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Pathfinder

It is a disease of the brain, the most mysterious thing in all of scientific study
Old 25-12-2018, 05:04 PM
Master

I love this thread where you have tracked your journey with your brain condition. People promise the world but can't deliver when it comes to mental illness.

Society and doctors want to band-aid the condition regardless of the quality of life of that individual.

It's as with all struggles we have.

The child who is molested while growing up
The person who'se skin burned over most of their body in a severe fire
The mentally retarded (sorry if there is a gentler term)
The disfigured
The person who has severe life-threatening allergies

We are all living in our own subcultures, struggling to fit into a society that demands that we be just like them. Whole and perfect. And even most of them are faking it.

Sometimes we have struggles and disabilities because it's the lesson we need to learn. The struggle is the vehicle and the door to understanding and knowledge and wisdom. Sometimes we just have to accept ourselves for the way we are, right now, right where we are.
Old 26-12-2018, 09:28 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoIsSatan
It is a disease of the brain, the most mysterious thing in all of scientific study

& so why does no one agree on what it all is? & why does everyone have a different opinion on it all?