Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 20-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Master
In 10 minutes

The notion of development, what that applies to, be it the honing of sensitivity of perception, the skill of any kind of ability, the shifting to higher planes of the universe, the purification of emotional baggage, or whatever else it might be, the fundamental aspect of who or what develops is obscure, however the opening of the mind to vaster possibilities is made no less pertinent to self or no-self ideas.

In the school of Buddhism I am familiar with, the idea of being or not being is itself a 'wrong view', as they call it, but the attention must at some stage turn back from the universal wonders and look whereto it arises.

Old 22-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Master
Indeed... all else is whatever it may be and then, finally, it begins.
Old 22-07-2017, 04:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The notion of development, what that applies to, be it the honing of sensitivity of perception, the skill of any kind of ability, the shifting to higher planes of the universe, the purification of emotional baggage, or whatever else it might be, the fundamental aspect of who or what develops is obscure, however the opening of the mind to vaster possibilities is made no less pertinent to self or no-self ideas.

In the school of Buddhism I am familiar with, the idea of being or not being is itself a 'wrong view', as they call it, but the attention must at some stage turn back from the universal wonders and look whereto it arises.

Yes and I feel like it's important to understand why. I've heard such things about views and beliefs for years but I never understood why. For me, views like being and non being when held to, are the result of craving and clinging to such views with some reason behind them. Those views develope a consciousness of their own and thus become dependent on that consciousness and thus grow and become more dependent on that consciousness.
That condition in Buddhism is stress or suffering and it's not hard to imagine that condition remaining active by its clinging after the death of the body. It's not to say they are right or wrong. That's not relevant.

The cessation of identifying with the fluctuations arising within consciousness
Old 22-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Master
In the buddhist school I studied in, 'right' isn't personal - I can't be right - but to discern what is best and actually act on that, that's 'right motivation', so I guess 'right' in this sense is more akin to human rights, dignity, respect, fondness and other virtues. Now a guy in robes to denote his station can say this and that, but really only reiterates things he was told and schooled in. Ones don't step outside the folds of their robes, because to do so would be to lose that station. To follow in the footsteps is the death of exploration, as someone offers a hand to lead you, but doesn't hold your hand as you walk in your own way, and people praise you when you tow the line, but scorn you when you wander away from that rope. That's the world, a place of arbitrary standards, harsh judgments, and this morality is called right, but it's the kind of right built up from the symbolic world of man, and not the morality born from universal law. People will deny such law exists, that there is no such thing as virtue, but there is, and even if the universe is an illusion, the love of the universe is real, and all mankind is connected to it, with no exceptions. This is why when I walk through my day, although I'm common with spite and resentment as most people are, I see something through the foggy haze of negative demeanour... that you and me are the same thing watching, though perhaps watching our own particular dream. Now why would I see a person as right and be tempted to follow, imitate, impress, emulate? Surely yes I can be inspired by awesome people, but I can't be as they, and it's awfully stressful to be as you are not - to aspire to meet social expectations or the expectations of another. A man would lose himself in such - and so many do - but the pressure to conform is enormous, and people who do not are often left out in the cold - and that is a morality constructed, not one of virtue, so when we say this is 'right', that isn't arbitrary; it's a word which refers to purity and completely honest discernment as to what is best - and that's not easy to discern.
Old 23-07-2017, 12:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

I think I get what your saying. But this bit confused me. Being or not being if this is a wrong view in buddhism(not your wrong idea), how does this correlate to being caught up in universal wonders and not being all that from the point within yourself aware and attentive of where all things arise from? why can't you "be in your being" aware of all this and still engage in the universal wonders only your engaged "aware"..I guess my curiosity is wondering why being or not being is an issue in all this in what your sharing. The rest makes sense I should add.

Man has learned how to challenge both Nature and art to become the incitements to vice! His very cups he has delighted to engrave with libidinous subjects, and he takes pleasure in drinking from vessels of obscene form! Pliny the Elder
Old 23-07-2017, 02:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesflow
I think I get what your saying. But this bit confused me. Being or not being if this is a wrong view in buddhism(not your wrong idea), how does this correlate to being caught up in universal wonders and not being all that from the point within yourself aware and attentive of where all things arise from? why can't you "be in your being" aware of all this and still engage in the universal wonders only your engaged "aware"..I guess my curiosity is wondering why being or not being is an issue in all this in what your sharing. The rest makes sense I should add.

I guess you can be aware in life, as we are, without knowing the hows and whats and whys, and not have opinions about it all, and just understand that there's no point wasting time trying to figure it all out - it's a miracle. The spiritual thing is weird because a person may discover the self realisation but will be 'that' and not be 'that', as if 'that' might reveal the exact 'way that you are' without actually being you, or not being you. That it is unquestionable, and not as a faith where all belief is tinged with doubt. It is unquestionable someone sees the question form in the mind... so you're obviously the one who hears, but has no answer, to the question, innit.

Yes we have a view on who we are, some way in which we imagine ourselves, and we have to go on this lifepath, for no reason except the meaning we give to it, and for what, just a lot of heartbreak and pain really, but you see, it's not about the experiences as much as it is about the living of them, and look, people with strong views cause a lot of trouble.