Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 09-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Seeker

The theory that Jesus was an Essene?

Have heard the theory that Jesus was in fact an Essene, more specifically a Nazerene. A sect of Essenes who had their temple in northern Israel on Mount Carmel.

The accounts of the 2 times Jesus traveled, in his youth, to Jerusalem it is stated that he traveled many days south.

Also there is no historical or biblical mention of Nazareth until the 200 A.D.'s. But the town called Nazareth did consist of a commune of Nazarenes. But calling it Nazareth in its time would be like calling Salt Lake UT Mormon town, in my opinion.

My Father was Jewish, passed in 16. My mom is Christian. Maybe its because of that that I'm naturally inclined to feel this way, but I have a special place in my heart for Jesus (the man alone) and Judaism and its ancient history.

Though I'm aware that a Rabbi would say I am not Jewish, still I feel a unique sense of pride when I realise that in me I have the blood of a people who's history goes back to the beginning of recorded time.

Since Jesus died on the cross, really, faulty mankind has been interpreting his teachings and shaping it to their will, we obviously shouldn't blame Jesus for that.

I know I have no real proof. But it feels right to me when I think that Jesus was a shining example of a Jew, and what a human could be. Who spent his formative years in a sect of Judaism that had many difference in their tradition.

But a few that interest me are, 1. equal property rights and respect between
men and women. 2. One of the first known to publicly denounce slavery as it was a tenet of their religion. 3. And they were known to be keepers of ancient texts and records of many different religions and histories.

Doesn't that kind of sound like an environment that could have shaped Jesus in his early years?

Ill admit I am probably guilty of what I judge most the devout believers for, cherry picking.

But something about it rings true. The Essenes also believed in reincarnation. So maybe I was one Once Upon a Time.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming. Guess I'm wondering though of anyone's thoughts on the matter.

I hope I haven't offended anyone. This is my 2nd post, I haven't really tested the waters here yet.
I only try to speak hypothetically and have a discussion hopefully.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Ascender

Hello Gideon--2037.
I find your post open, honest, enquiring, refreshing and respectful. Thank you for your interesting post. Your interest is well founded. Good wishes. petex
Old 10-02-2018, 06:48 AM
Master
I believe it

Jesus was shaped and formed in a perfect spiritual environment so he could become the person he was born to be.

The Essenes were not taken seriously. I guess you could say they were the spiritual, witchy weirdos in the north who practiced celibacy- precursor to Catholicism; whereas the Pharisees were the organized- mainline Judaism and the Sadducees didn't believe in anything except God, the Torah, justice, social issues, and freedom from Rome. The Pharisees were like the republicans of their time who side with evangelicalism and religious purity, and Sadducees were more Democrats who side with secularism and atheism. And then you had the Essenes who were in the middle, a spiritual mystical group

Jesus needed that environment, the parents he was given, and the teachers who would help shape him into the Christ. I don't think the Essenes embraced him though. They at least knew he was the one chosen by God to receive the Spirit of the Anointed, and become the anointed One; but they probably tried shaping him to their cult. Whereas Jesus wanted to bring his message to everyone and not establish the Essenes as the one right and true way.

John the Baptist was more of a traditional Essenes. Both him and Jesus were highly evolved adepts of that Esoteric religion. Jesus was further advanced because his karma was pure and didn't have any debts like John did from his life as Elijah. Jesus was pure to receive the anointing of the Lord
. The Baptism was staged as a ritual by John, an act done by the Essenes to proclaim to the rest of their Hebrew world that Jesus was the One chosen by God. The washing away of "sin" wasn't necessary for Jesus , it was simply the ritual to announce his Christhood to the common folk, that this Christ was not someone raising themselves to a pedestal but a lowly peasant Carpenter who saw himself no better than anyone else.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
Good thread....but I moved it. To the Christian section. I think it may be mis-placed in the Judaism section?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 PM
Master
A big clue is the ritual of Baptism. The Essenes practiced this on a daily basis, apparently.

Don't think either that they were a, "cult". They considered the Sadducees and Pharisees worldly and corrupt. While of course the mainline jewish priesthood considered themselves as the righteous of God. Claiming that they kept God's law.

Jesus told them different.

There were different groups within the Essene community. Some were celibate, others not, who were married.

Historian and documenter Josephus stated they were numerous, numbering in the thousands through the Roman Empire of the time, but still nevertheless smaller in number than the mainline Jewish community.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 13-02-2018, 03:06 PM
Master

it doesn't seem very likely to me Jesus was an Essene, although there were different types of Essenes. This is especially true if the Qumran scrolls were an Essene community
They were ritually into washing and ritual purity which Jesus was not known for promoting. But like him they opposed the Pharisees.
The Qumran scrolls particularly are not compatible with Jesus's teachings
I think that to the extent Essenes were dissenters from the authorities Jesus sort of was like them, but distinct and different again, more an itinerant preacher like John the Baptist
Old 13-02-2018, 05:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
it doesn't seem very likely to me Jesus was an Essene, although there were different types of Essenes. This is especially true if the Qumran scrolls were an Essene community
They were ritually into washing and ritual purity which Jesus was not known for promoting. But like him they opposed the Pharisees.
The Qumran scrolls particularly are not compatible with Jesus's teachings
I think that to the extent Essenes were dissenters from the authorities Jesus sort of was like them, but distinct and different again, more an itinerant preacher like John the Baptist

Well the "Scrolls" were simply the collection of Old Testament scriptures, which were preserved by the Essene community.
Which after found, and thoroughly researched through the years, confirms the accuracy of our present biblical texts. Including?
The Book of Isaiah, the most comprehensive of them all; which book has the most Messianic prophesies within it.

Regarding the ritual of "baptism"?
"All authority has been given to me in heaven and earth...
Go you therefore baptising them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all I have commanded you...

And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age." - Jesus

Mathew 28:18

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 14-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Master

agreed Morpheus the scrolls contain perfect OT scripture's showing accuracy of the Jewish scribes
But I wasn't talking about water baptism but ritual washing

Jesus was not into ritual cleanliness 'why do you wash the outside of the cup?' etc and many other sayings

And check this out from the community rule scroll regarding women during their period:

"Above all, she shall not mingle with the pure during her seven days so that she may not pollute the camps of the holy. Neither shall she touch any woman with a long-term issue of blood. And the person who counts the seven days shall not touch her during her uncleanness. Only when she has purified herself from her uncleanness may she be touched"

Jesus directly and clearly contradicted this when he was touched by the woman with the issue of blood and healed her. Jesus, and Paul also, never advocated this idea of ritual cleanliness regarding women or anything else

This is a major difference between Jesus and the Qumran community!

Note that I have read the well known opponents of Paul, sometimes called Judaisers did in fact want to keep these rules along with circumcision and following of the law

Maybe there were types of Essenes who were more like Jesus, but if the Qumran community represents the Essenes in general then we can't associate Jesus with them with differences like this between them
Old 14-02-2018, 07:51 PM
Master
You may be correct David.
But, we understand that Baptism is a symbolic representation of something inward.
Not really about the body.

In the New Testament also there is something expressed by the Lord about humility connected with foot washing.
Suppression of ego.

Finally, we see how the Essene community eschewed the mainline Jewish priesthood, which Jesus had also found fault with.

Old 16-02-2018, 08:52 AM
Master

Agree with that about Baptism for sure!
Probably there were many types of Essenes and maybe Jesus was connected with one of them, he had things in common with them as well as differences with some of them
A person back then would be spoilt for choice over which group or sect to join. Jesus managed to gather quite a following!