Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 20-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Experiencer
Each person is individual, each person unique. When one is moved by the Holy Spirit, there can be many different reactions. Speaking in tongues, passionately spreading the gospel, healing, weeping, singing, and on and on.

A Christian is a follower of Christ, it could not be any other way. You will know them by their fruits.
However, it is said in the Bible, there are many that are only playing the Christian.

2 Peter 2
1 But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
3 By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.

I cannot and will not judge or condemn, that is our God's job. I can only use my discernment, a gift from Him who gives so readily to all who believes in Him.
Old 20-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Experiencer

I think it might help to realize that the Bible presents the evolving concepts of God in monotheism. The concepts men have had and also the ones currently held are not God himself, but human concepts of God, sometimes aided by spiritual experiences.

The concept Christ presented was that the greatest commamdment is to love God with all our being followed by loving our neighbor as ourselves and to love, pray for and do good to one's enemy. He said if we do that we are the children of our Father in Heaven. Following these commamdments, all falls into place naturally.

The concept of the Atonement seems obvious in Christ's concept of himself as he replaced the former practicing of animal sacrifice as a once for all sacrifice . I rather agree with another poster that mankind itself demanded a sacrifice because of our lack of love. I agree with the OT prophet, Hosea, who said in the book of Hosea, chapter 6 , verse 6, God desired mercy and not sacrifice.

Jesus , himself seemed to hold out some hope of "another way" praying just before his crucifixion that if there was another way that , "this cup pass from me."

However, I find most objection to the Bible and Christianity stems from a desire to deny any authority beyond one's natural self so as I have been accused of "picking cherries" from scripture, people antagonistic to scripture "pick pickles" .

A better way, IMHO, is to sincerely ask spiritual guidance and sincerely study the Bible as a whole.
Old 21-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Master

Hard work has abundant future rewards but laziness pays off right now!
Old 21-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Being a christian is not necessarily the same as being a follower of Christ.
Would you regard frothing at the mouth Bible Belt christians as followers of Christ or how about certain Irish Catholic priests or pro-life/pro-abortion zealots?
Good point!

I was thinking of the guys who wave the "god hates fags!" baners in the name of christ on thier anti gay campains. They are using christianity to mask their own ungodly agendas.

Following Christ means you pick up your cross and follow, and he never took his cross to anywhere pleasant.

Old 22-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Keith
But THIS week we have a special offer going. Half price on indulgences and you can even keep that crystal skull and the other New Age stuff as long as it's not in the same room with your Bible.

As long as I can leave the hell, devil, judgment items with the proprietor for proper, quick and orderly disposal you got a deal!

Quote:
On a more serious note (and this is more of a response to Lightworker) - Christianity is a pretty diverse bunch, and most Christians in the world (Catholics and Orthodox) do NOT regard the Bible as the the sole repository of truth.

You are correct, I was raised orthodox and that IMO is the least "toxic" of the traditional christian religions

Quote:
Back in the days of early Christianity, it was an even MORE diverse group, with versions of Jesus' teaching being circulated that most Christians today wouldn't recognize. Read Bart Ehrman's "Lost Christianities" for examples.

And for hundreds of years after Jesus, there wasn't any one agreed-upon list of what the Bible should consist of. Nor is there today, for that matter.

You are preaching to the choir reverend keith. I really hope that your open minded christian teachings and analysis catch on.
Old 22-03-2012, 03:26 AM
Experiencer

IMHO, without the Spirit, "teachings" tend to get twisted to suit the non spiritual individual.
"Love does no harm to his neighbor." Or for that matter anyone.

Practice love and all else falls into place naturally.
Old 22-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Master
I'll show you something guys about diversity I found on youtube one day..

This catholic father called Bede Griffiths had a ministry in India. He really embraced a lot of way out there thinking for a guy of of the catholic church, or many christian churches I think. He looked at the bare basics of the christian faith in a new way I had never encountered.

One of his videos show how a christian could have a mantra while meditating and how many monks in early christian times went out into the desert to meditate and pray.

Its really cool give it a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWG-muR9eRI

Old 22-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilchannan
The turning away from God routine gets old after a few thousand years...

You show me a Christian in your view who kills, tortures, hates, mutilates, etc.. and I will say he is not a follower of Christ...

Peace to you

Peace be to you as well since One can not really turn away from the Omnipresent. no matter where One turns within or outside One's self "God" is there.

many people can be shown to you who don't call themselves "Christian" and yet follow the Love Laws of Yeshua more to the letter of the heart than many of those who do, so maybe the label of "Christian" and other such religious delineations are irrelevant.