View Single Post
Old 21-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
I'm sorry to hear you haven't had any luck. Your trauma may be complex as it went on for so long. CPTSD is not just about childhood trauma, it's about prolonged trauma including if it just happened in adulthood. EMDR and Somatic Experiencing, and a few others I'm not as familiar with, are currently the most effective treatments for PTSD. I highly suggest finding an experienced trauma therapist who is familiar with current treatments and doesn't use the old ones like the few I mentioned before. If you haven't read it yet, The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk is an important work on trauma healing today. Also I've found a very powerful treatment for PTSD symptoms in Kundalini Yoga at sacredtherapies.com. I've gotten quite a bit of relief from it.

I've experienced complex trauma as it went on all my life until a couple of years ago, and out of desperation sought things that really work because for a long time I've been basically unable to do anything, and have experienced nonstop flashbacks/nightmares but I'm now starting to get better. That's why I like Bessel because he is only interested in treatments that work. Peter Levine's Somatic Experiencing is also showing to be very effective for PTSD. EMDR is also a miracle for many people, even though no one knows exactly why it works, but some have experienced relief after just a few treatments. There's also Neurofeedback. Bessel goes over these current effective treatments in his book. If you did not experience childhood trauma, there's quite a bit of hope for your recovery, because that makes it much more difficult to recover. I hope this helps and that you find some relief soon.

Thank you, Seawolf. You know, just someone acknowledging I haven’t had luck on my side, so far, is validation and helpful. Yes, I do think I have complex PTSD (I was also told this by a medium). The thing is I don’t have some of the usual symptoms; I don’t get flashbacks and I don’t get nightmares. What I did get was extreme anger when I thought about it (there’s a nice hole in my bedroom which I’ve still to repair). What helped to lower that anger was EFT, mind you it took years.

I have heard of both EMDR and SE. EMDR is similar to EFT and the gamut procedure. Unfortunately, I live in a rural location and I don’t have any SE practitioners in my area. The book you mentioned, ‘the body keeps the score’ is actually what led me to find the Completion Process because in the reviews for the former book, someone said that although it describes the various approaches to PTSD, it doesn’t tell you how to do this for yourself and someone said The Completion Process does that, so that’s why I ordered it.

Also, I remember researching the vagal theory about a year ago and that the sympathetic and para sympathetic systems need re-balancing which led me to Bowen therapy. I had about five sessions and I’m still, I believe, processing this.

Patrycia