Thread: The Whole
View Single Post
Old 16-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsun

My path (of choice) has been to completely embrace (i.e. fully mentally and emotionally incarnate 'in') duality as a 'golden' opportunity - though it certainly can be quite problematic and no 'easy' feat to adeptly do. I too have found non-dualistic perspectives and associated ideas and philosophies to be quite useful, one might even say necessary, tools whereby I can 'happily' and (consequently) most effectively do so.

P.S. Here's a quote from the book I wrote wherein I pointing to the kinds of 'worsening' of 'suffering' which can result from too simplistic (superficial?) approaches to making Life more enjoyable for more people:

"Because most would-be health, education and welfare providers have concentrated on giving, and most would-be health, education and welfare seekers have concentrated on receiving, what increases or provides for the increase of instinctual pleasure and gratification, instead of augmenting Creativity they have basically just helped increase the number of human organs and amount of human creature-security, creature-comfort, creature-pleasure, and creature-aggrandizement on the planet. And this but temporarily, because the exponentially increasing wave of [u]instinctual[/i] activity they have thereby engendered now runs grossly amuck—our biological and cultural ecosystem has, as a result of their choices, been cannibalized and polluted to the point where Life on earth is inexorably, day-by-day becoming an ever more competitive, narrow self-interest dominated, desperation tinged, criminally exploited and chaotic scramble for instinctual perks in ever more barren and septic environs for a greater and greater proportion of those present.

What lies ahead is truly horrendous. Because we have, to such a great extent, both been seduced by and pandered to the urges of instinct, at least as many people will die from starvation, sickness, negligence or violence, inflicted either by fellow species members or Nature at large, in the next century as were alive at the beginning of this one. And that’s only the manifest tip of the iceberg. Ravaging angst will concomitantly wreak much more pernicious havoc in the realm of the soul.
"

P.S. The book was completed in 1999. 'Negative' (social and environmental) consequences have snowballed since then. My prediction now is that a much larger proportion of our population will perish in such fashion in the not too distant future. I take great comfort in the knowledge that there are afterlife realms in the GRAND scheme of things, so nothing 'good' (soulfully speaking) will be lost in the process.

davidsun,

You present a grim assessment of the way this world is trending.......an assessment that I, too, would largely concur with also. It demonstrates the great disparity that exists in how different people view the state of the world. There is a common perception shared by many people that this particular age is one of great spiritual advancement. It is difficult for me to find agreement with that point of view. Basically you seem to be pointing to a rise in ego driven materialism which has the character of being the antithesis of spiritualism. Perhaps it is indeed a matter of POV....either the cup is half full or half empty?