View Single Post
Old 27-12-2018, 03:51 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke369
Hey I don’t know if this is the correct topic to post under but I have been curious as to why I can not remember anything about an imaginary friend I was told I had as a child, by my parents. What I think is strange is that I know other people who have been told they had imaginary friends and were also given situations in which she referenced her friend and same for me, my parents can tell me things I said about my friend but I don’t remember anything.

I’m curious as to if this means anything, can any one else relate?

All of our friends are imaginary, as is everything else we experience. It is all created by the mind. Even the character we think of as "me" is something the mind creates. When we are young I expect the mind uses these characters to explore a reality that is relatively new to it. As we get older perhaps we integrate these characters into a "self", or else they come and lock us up. Anyway, I expect this friend did what it was intended to do and the mind moved on. It is the same with all forms, they are characters and props in a story. Once we experience the story and get the moral, the rest becomes less important and pushed out of our awareness. There are many people, places, and events I expect I have completely forgotten about over my life time. Occasionally, something will make a connection and they come back. One thing though, what comes back is not a recording of what was, but more like a recreation, assembled from faded pieces of memory with the gaps filled in by the mind. Similar plot and moral, but the setting, props, and characters are improvised on the fly, kind of like eye witness testimony.