View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Suspended
Hi Skull,
Although some of the lists in Buddhism are overwhelming - I love most of it! It seems to be the only "religion" that
1. Encourages one to maintain one's religious roots (spirituality is based on what resonates, which is often based on what we grew up with) &
2. Involves the psychological searchings that are needed (I believe true psychology & spirituality are basically one & the same)

I recently read, "The Heart of Buddha's Teachings" by Thich Nhat Hanh, from which I'd like to share some notes & thoughts...
Suffering isN'T objective. Learning the cause of suffering can lessen burdens. Transform suffering by looking deeply for understanding & peace.
Quote:
If we face our feelings with care, affection & non-violence, we can transform them into a kind of energy that is healthy & nourishing... Right mindfulness is like a mother. When her child is sweet, she loves him & when her child is crying, she still loves him.

Why wander all over the world looking for something you already have? You are already the richest person on earth.

...not to feel elated when praised because we know that any praise is not for us as an individual, but for many beings, including our parents, teachers, friends, & all forms of life.

The one can be seen in the all, & the all can be seen in the one... Cause & effect inter-are.

Happiness lies in your own heart. You only need to practice mindful breathing for a few seconds & you'll be happy right away.
Impermanence & Nonself - we're ever changing - so not the same self.

Yes, there's a lot of suffering throughout the world, but if we don't know how to breathe, smile & live each moment fully, we won't be able to help anyone. To develop true love is to have love with understanding... practice looking & listening deeply. Even for those who have hurt us, when we really understand them, we can't help but love them.

Everyone has a seed (or potential) of anger, joy, etc. within... water those good ones so that the negative ones don't grow & cause more suffering.