View Single Post
Old 20-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Bitis

making your own essential oils

Hi everyone,

I was thinking , while looking in the garden , and thought "what can i do with that big rosemary bush and that huge lavander plant, so i thought of the possibility of making my own essential or "scented" oils.

so i had a quick scout around and found there are 2 or more ways to xtract the scents from plants, one is very simple, which is simply take your plant/herb of choice, and soak it in the oil you will use to make it from, because i have money problems i chose simple sunflower oil, because its light, cheap and good for the skin *if i chose to try my oil in a bath*. Then you gently warm it in the sun for maybe only 10 - 15 minuites, stir it around or shake the container, i chose to stir it , then leave it in a cool dark place for 12 hours , stir, and do that for 2 days, then sieve out all of the plant matter, i used a tea strainer **and i crushed it between 2 equal size plastic tupperware pots* , then repeat the process untill the oil smells..... of your chosen plant.

very very simple, absolutly nothing difficult.....

so now i have a small bottle **just under 200ml** of rosemary scented oil! And its actually looking and smelling good, although it does remind me of food a bit LOL, and the oil is greenish colour now, and i only soaked it twice, i used quite a lot of rosemary leaves, a good couple of big handfulls, but i have not actually used any in an oil burner yet.... the only reason is i seem to have misplaced my burner!!

does anyone else make their own scented oils? any random info to share about it?

the next will be the lavander when it flowers, thats going to be strong! and also i bought some lemons and limes, was thinking of trying to use them...maybe i should shred the skins, maybe shred and dry? im not sure, but for the money spent £1.59 for a litre of oil, i cannot really go wrong can i??