View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Master
This is a difficult topic for me, or has been for many years. The suffering of the chickens in mass production is cruel. Likewise with beef or other meat that is not pastured and well-treated.

The whole topic of meat...or higher-quality protein generally...has always been an issue for me.
Which encompasses eggs, dairy, meat, and fish.
I was for many years a very strict vegetarian...eggs only kept me from being vegan. But I had low-level depression for years before I listened to my body.

I craved protein and fat all those years. I mean daily. I constantly tasted the craving (I can't explain it...it was like iron) in my mouth, and the protein pit in my chest was always empty, never satisfied. I remember one summer, I would break down whilst swimming daily and eat tuna along with my beans, corn, and rice or my egg and tofu scramble. Generally, I allowed myself fish a few times a year, regularly, when out with others.

I have often thought that, whilst most women have no idea what I mean by craving protein and filling the protein pit in the chest, many men probably do...and likewise it is probably extremely difficult for many men to do without some eggs, dairy, fish, or meat in their diet, as well, depending on the person. Sometimes you cannot do the dairy and so you may need to balance the eggs with something else, like fish or meat.

After nearly 20 yrs (from 10 to 30) of being a vegetarian went back to being gluten-free...but half the protein in my diet was gone without wheat gluten, which was literally killing me. I reluctantly accepted the situation and substituted real wild-caught fish and organic chicken from our local co-op (I buy all of them periodically in bulk from a local supplier and freeze them, for savings). Almost immediately, the depression lifted and most of my physical ailments (from the gluten) went away.

Due to being gluten intolerant and cow's dairy intolerant, and plus having allergies and just my own body's needs...I have a very high need for high-quality protein and good fats, and I always have. I eventually made peace with the fact that, whilst I would like to live without animal protein (eggs, fish, or flesh), I cannot. I would prefer to live on fish alone, but that too is unsustainable. We cannot all do that. So I buy the cruelty-free chicken -- supposedly, that is, it is cruelty-free.

Out of everything...dairy is the least appealing. Although I don't generally consume sheep's or goat's dairy products, I could do so, since they appear to be fine for me and don't cause problems like raw cow's dairy milk products (butter & cream ok though).

But instead, I do buy them for my son (11), since it seems that good dairy (organic, pastured) and good organic butter are very good for men's development and men's health.

I think the thing to do is to be as thoughtful as possible, and make the best choices we can, minimising the cruelty and suffering, given the limitations or requirements of the body.

Peace & blessings,
7L

Here we must be unafraid of what is difficult.

For all living beings in nature must unfold in their particular way

and become themselves despite all opposition.

-- Rainer Maria Rilke