View Single Post
Old 24-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Master
Yeah, he's an alright lyricist, it fits his style, just not my favourite. As for production, and his sound, he's expanding the parameters of hip hop, in my opinion, but even besides that, very rich captivating sound. Can tell he's passionate about music. Little too dramatic at times for me. It is very good though, IMO. I usually find something i don't like about everyone i do like lol. Haven't heard new El-p album. You may like the Killah Priest DJ Spooky colaboration, or DJ Spooky and J-Live. I like Spooky cause he does off the wall, creative stuff. Not afraid to mix it up. On the darker and psychedelic side also.

Quannum is one of my favourites; Gift of Gab, Lateef, Lyrics Born, etc. (El-p is on a track with them actually on Quannum Spectrum album) Old Rakim. One of my favourites IMO is K-Os, out of Toronto; like him more on the rhythm/vibe/harmony level than rhymes also, but he is competent lyricist.

Apologize for hijacking thread here, (if that's what we did) trying to keep it on topic, there is definitely some hip hop out there that falls into category of 'dark music' lots out there these days that rap about reptilians, aliens, 2012.. etc. etc. Especially lately.

Even new Gift of Gab - 'Escape to Mars'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hoXdMdYoJ4

Last edited by Deusdrum : 24-11-2010 at 01:25 AM.