View Single Post
Old 16-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator
It could be a deep fear of wildness or wilderness perhaps. Many domesticated animals even -are a bit scared of being alone out in the wild at night. And many humans are. Where I live now there are no street lights, and few houses. I love it because I'm used to it, and it's my favourite world right now, but some visitors have been 'spooked' out there! (On my lovely country lane at night!)

Once when I was in my late 20s I lived in the mountains in Snowdonia. High on one of the mountains there was an old shut-down slate quarrying area. It had a formidable atmosphere. A sort of place of sheep bones and ravens. There were deep holes on the slate, going down hundreds of feet and filled with water. Some would call it terrible and bleak up there but I was used to that and didn't mind.
I had some climber friends and we used to go up there, smoke, drink Cokes, climb around. Some went swimming in the holes. Or we'd sit with our feet dangling into them. Yes it was weird but not something that scared me.
Then one day, we walked to a new area, and there was a deep water-filled hole. I walked up (carefully) as I usually did -to take a look in. And as I approached there was this sudden deep and awful feeling of dread. It literally threw me backwards, like a blow to the solar plexus. I felt winded, scared, overwhelmed with some dreadful thing that had not been resolved (that's what it felt like) Sick to my stomach and trembling.
I never EVER went back there again.
I thought maybe there had been a murder there. I told the others but nobody took it seriously.