View Single Post
Old 30-09-2019, 08:09 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheShatters
I agree that meditation is a powerful tool and can/is very useful for persons with thought disorders. But meditation alone will not clear cognitive distortion. The person would need intensive therapy and perhaps medication to assist.

On the contrary, meditation if practiced diligently over time can bring mental clarity; this is my experience and the experience of many whom I have known. I worked in the mental health field for many years and also was a university psychology professor. My approach to psychology is very eclectic. I have used many different techniques, and no one technique works for everyone.

That is why there are so many different psychological schools of thought. Cognitive distortion is not even valid to many strict behaviorist. If you look at psychology that is germane to other nations and their indigenous populations they do not use words like "cognitive." That is primarily and intellectual Neo-Freudian designation. Psychoanalytic thought has dominated western society since the 19th century but now Chinese medicine, ayurvedic medicine, etc., are finding their way into mainstream American medicine, and they bring with them different mind/body approaches.

This is a "spiritual" forum and I don't know if you are aware of Esoteric Psychology, Buddhist Psychology, or non-cognitive approaches to psychology? The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is now teaching meditation to veterans diagnosed with PTSD and it has been very effective. They are waning these veterans off of medication, especially opioids, by teaching them meditation. Every one is entitled to their own opinion and I am just sharing mine, which differs from yours. Nothing more. Peace