View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 05:07 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
During Christopher Columbus' life time, people believed the World was coming to an end. Columbus believed he would play a major role in this prophecy as mentioned in The Book of Prophecies which he 'edited'. The English translation of this work became available in the early 1990's. He used scriptures and quotes from the Old Testament, New Testament, Quran and other books to support his beliefs.

Columbus fully believed the prophetic prophecy of Isaiah was fulfilled. He wrote "I have already said that for the voyage to the Indies neither intelligence nor mathematics nor maps were of any use to me; it was the fulfillment of Isaiah's prophecy".

On Columbus' 4th voyage, he claimed he found Eden on the mainland of Central America. He was not the only person searching for Eden.

Look at the First Great Awakening (1700's) which later fueled the Second Great Awakening (1800's) with emphasis placed on Finley's Burned-Over District which brought about numerous new belief systems.

The belief in a Second Coming of Christ fueled all of these events. It is a major facet of Christianity.

I did not know this.

I find it alarming though how easily Christianity lends itself to justify the most horrifically cruel actions of the evilest of men. And not only justify their actions, but in thinking they will be Heavenly "rewarded" for their horrific cruelty. I think that comes from the OT "god".