View Single Post
Old 29-09-2017, 09:34 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnostic
I no longer see myself that way so naturally it seems I don't have an ego.
A blind eye is just a blind eye, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngnostic
EDIT: and that which I thought was an ego in the past was actually a part of my true self just misconstrued.
Kind of. To keep it as simple as possible, Life gives us the test then gives us the lesson - retrospect is where we can sit down and take a different perspective. You can't evolve if there is nothing to evolve from - that part of yourself you didn't particularly like gave you something to evolve from. Evolving, though, is a process. If that part of you wasn't really you then who was it? And I'm really biting my tongue to not come out with a Billy Connolly joke here. If a part of you sees another part of you as not you, what then? Are you a collection of parts that don't like each other?

Spirituality has a penchant for redefinition and 'ego' has fallen prey to that - perhaps there's something egoic in redefining the ego to fit in with personal beliefs. When you think about it, ego death - which is much-vaunted Spiritually - is egoic in itself.

Spirituality will tell you that your thoughts are as real as you yourself are, so when you have thoughts of an ego doesn't that make it real?

As yourself one question - "What are my reasons for being Spiritual?" Not simply "Why?" but specifically "What are the reasons?" When you find those reasons check them against Snow Goose's list, there you will find your ego. The list of ego definitions is extensive but my favourite is Freud's; it is a sense of I am. "I am Spiritual."