View Single Post
Old 16-04-2016, 12:35 PM
Master

I was there with my late wife a few years ago. It kept its promise of being the city in Canada with the most concrete. And also kept its promise of being an American city in Canada. Montreal was much nicer we thought.

There's a story here. At the beginning of WW11 my father, being a certified electrician, wasn't put into the military forces but sent north in 1939 to Newcastle to work on shipbuilding. Mainly frigates and destroyers. After the war finished we returned to London in 1945 to an old flat without electricity but with gas. Dad took it upon himself to convert the lighting and power to electricity. This is something he continued to do privately with me helping him on Saturdays, so he was able to earn a living. work was scarce. To this end he used military surplus material of which there was masses on the market - also the sort he'd used to fit out ships.
In Toronto, while we were there there was a destroyer in the harbour 'open to the public'. We went down to have a look and it was one of the ships built in Newcastle between 1939 - 1945. I recognised my father's handwork!!