View Single Post
Old 25-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Suspended
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman
There are those who think it is rational to kill people; one person's freedom fighter (rational) is another persons' terrorist (irrational).
Now you are changing the context. Of course there are numerous instances of rationality since there are numerous goals. One instance of rationality is always linked to one goal or one set of goals.
The original context was language and its use. Rational use of language implies that the goal is that language is used consistently. One aspect of linguistic consistency is that a designator X excludes all designators non-X, i.e. an object is identified through excluding what it is not.
So this is the philosophical analytical approach which according to my experience entails clarity and removes confusion. Of course you are free to use language as you like. However at some point our communication necessarily becomes impossible since we are applying different rules or standards to the words we are using.

Quote:

Rationality is often a rationalization, and rationalizations are often ego defense mechanisms. A lot of people do things on impulse, without
a rationale, and then rationalize what they did later.
No, here you are confusing 'rationality' and 'rationalization'. At the beginning of any instance of rationality there is necessarily 'setting the goal'. Once the goal is set it is determined what is considered to be rationality and what is not to be considered rationality.

Quote:
In my opinion rationality belongs to the human mind and not the divine spirit. But that's just my opinion.
you are coming from a different direction, i.e. your concept to the word 'divine' is obviously different from mine.

Quote:
Merry Christmas to you Ground.
Thanks. The same to you.