View Single Post
Old 29-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWarrior
Two hundred years ago you might have been asked if your science could prove that light was real, or if it was possible to send sound signals through air without hearing them, or if a piece of wood could be cut up into parts so small that even a microscope could not see them. And your answer would be that science clearly said no to all of this.

Two hundred years from now, what do you think today's scientific truths are worth? The world moves forward, not to the cry of 'This is impossible so don't bother trying', but to the whispered 'But what if we keep on trying in new ways anyway." Ask any inventor throughout the entire history of mankind, if he or she got much in the way of support until whatever he created started to make money.

I think you are saying that some day science might be able to measure spirituality. And maybe you're also arguing that intuition can motivate scientists to discover unexpected phenomena. (Sorry if I've got that wrong.)

So what you say is true. But usually new scientific theories come from evolutionary extension of existing theories. Then once in a while the experimental results are so strange that a revolutionary new theory is developed. Assuming there are spiritual beings that behave so flippantly that their behavior seems to be random coincidence, why not simply ignore it all? Maybe someday scientists will understand more, but in the meantime why make-up something to believe?

In my case, I try to focus on humility. I will never understand anything and nothing I do matters very much. If God or gods exist then I think they would prefer us to recognize our own ignorance and limitations.