View Single Post
Old 17-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Master
You are being very insufferable Yjotir, over-analysing my every sentence. I'm honestly not interested in any interrogations. What's important here is that you are missing the point..

This idea that happiness can't be found in the worldly things and in pleasure, because they are 'temporary' is rather problematic, but a view that returns in many spiritual traditions. Many of the things we enjoy are temporary, as are loved ones. I think we may forget anti-pleasure and non-attachment teachings were made and are upheld by ascetics and monks, and are not that relevant for most of us. Abandoning the worldly, eschewing pleasures, and all things of ''a temporary nature'' does not necessarily bring one happiness. Such an anti-world view can work for genuine ascetics and monks, but should IMO be met with caution by most spiritually interested people. And I am not the only one who observed this as others I've talked with have come to similar observations.

Life on earth and everything in it shouldn't be viewed as all misery and unhappiness, and spirituality as some miracle cure for every problem, because it really isn't. When someone says that the worldly won't bring happiness but only something spiritual does, then they are placing themselves firmly into that position. The irony is that spiritual traditions, besides being able to make people happy, can also have the potency to actually make people miserable by making them give up things that would otherwise make their lives better.