View Single Post
Old 13-08-2014, 10:52 PM
Raven Poet

Aki, I am so grateful that you started a thread on the tragic passing of Robin Williams. Thank you for doing so; he has been on my mind ever since the news of his death.

He was a hero of mine in my "teeny bopper" years, when the TV show "Mork & Mindy" came out. I dressed up like Mork on Halloween and borrowed his sayings like "Shazbot!" And whenever a movie came out that featured Mr. Williams, I made sure to watch it. I loved his fabulous acting talent! He repeatedly showed us that he was much more than a typecasted comedian; his roles in "Good Will Hunting", "Dead Poets Society", "Rain Man", "Mrs. Doubtfire", and my favourites "Patch Adams" and "What Dreams May Come" proved he was an extremely talented actor artist. He was one in a gazillion.

I was so shocked and sad to hear of his death. It made me ask so many things, like: why couldn't all his "friends" have reached out to him through the paralysing fog of depression and cradled him in his hours of darkness? All these Hollywood celebrities saying it's such a tragedy ... blah blah blah. I've heard this so many times before about the tragic death of gifted actors ... when will somebody DO something other than just talk about it? Depression and suicidal thoughts happen to ALL people, including the "rich and famous".

Perhaps some people mistakenly thought he was immune to suicide because of his wealth and status. We know for certain that mental illness does not know wealth and status and fame ... it strikes people down despite their station in life. And it took another gifted artist too early.

My prayers are with his soul and his family.