View Single Post
Old 20-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Experiencer

Besides the fascinating revelations about daily life in Heaven, I was very comfortable with the author's presentation of how one gets where in the afterlife.

The heavenly realms are shown as the place one goes to as the result of a well-spent earthly life, not because of professing faith in a particular creed.

Similarly, the lower realms are the destination of those who have hardened their hearts in this life against God and good.

Yet all in the spirit world have the continuing opportunity for spiritual progress. As indicated by many near-death experiencers, love and service, learning and spiritual progress - or the opportunity for same - continue throughout eternity.

I also loved the way so much of it meshed with Christian teachings - guardian angels or "spirit guides", and a figure clearly identificable as Jesus, yet not identified as him. At the same time, it went to great lengths to counter the "singing hymns and playing harps eternally" idea (which doesn't strike me as a particularly interesting way to spend eternity).