Old 07-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Hello,

Here is a PDF of Nisargadatta's 'I am That'

http://www.freespiritualebooks.com/u.../i-am-that.pdf

I think this statement sums up Nasargadatta's approach:
How do you find a thing you have mislaid or forgotten? You keep it in your mind until you recall it. The sense of being, of 'I am' is the first to emerge. Ask yourself whence it comes, or just watch it quietly. When the mind stays in the 'I am' without moving, you enter a state which cannot be verbalised but can be experienced. All you need to do is try and try again. After all the sense ‘I am’ is always with you, only you have attached all kinds of things to it -- body, feelings, thoughts, ideas, possessions etc. All these self-identifications are misleading. Because of them you take yourself to be what you are not

(you can do a word search to find it in the pdf text - the pdf has no page numbers I can reference)

I hope we can discuss the meanings presented in the book rationally and become the wiser so doing.

Cheers, and I look forward to talking with you.

N seems to vary his response between practise required and the direct approach, depending on where he percieves the questioner to be at, which is what you would expect from someone who understands that seekers vary in terms of where they are at. A friend has borrowed my copy and I wonder if there is a way fo finding the very clear example of where he uses the direct approach with one guy in particular who is completely in despair and N describes that as a most beneficial state. The chapter and page number would be great, or post the conversation here.