Thread: Labels?
View Single Post
Old 16-06-2019, 09:18 AM
Knower

With regards to Santa Claus and unicorns. I guess that there must be an objective reality out there as truth, and this happens for all beliefs. Santa Claus can't exist for someone and exist for someone else, unless this happens as imagination. It's like saying a person happens to be in two different places at the same time as part of the same objective reality or universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
The usage of labels are designed for those who prefer to use cognitive or judgmental means to try and relate to the world around them and then to share such experiences, through spoken or written language, to others who are also familiar with those labels used, so as to facilitate a 'mental connection' or rapport with other members of the species.

Where the flaw is, is that many people personally identify with these labels to such an extent, that any 'alternative label' is simply unacceptable and inadmissible.

For example, I am a Theist and believe in "God"...now the term "God" is used, as a label, to represent the mental construct of something which is beyond the ability of my limited mental process to understand it, although I have also conceptualised it into a "form" to help my mind and heart acknowledge it for "ease of reference" (i.e a label).

Now, an atheist or a purist may come along (and they often do) and say "how can you be SO gullible and naive to believe that?...to use concepts and labels?" without realising, of course, that the words "gullible" and "naive" are ALSO labels that they have assigned in their judgmental critique to apply to ME!

I can also see that the meaning of certain words applies to individual perception, experience and mental construct. We shall use the same example:

By labeling me as being "gullible" or "naive" does NOT imply that I am inadvertently ignorant or too blindly accepting regardless of evidence to the contrary...what it means is that I have a different belief set to THEM and in the attempt to get me to change that belief set so that it suits their own perception, they resort to undermining my personal experiences and sense of conviction, self-esteem and faith to achieve it.

Those who have a 'weak will' usually don't survive continual attacks on their character and that is what such people are preying on, while others can see through this and politely tell them that they enjoy being "gullible" and "naive" because it stops them from critically judging and labeling people due to a sense of purpose and fulfillment in their own lives which is totally independent of the beliefs, views and opinions of others...so, if I want to 'believe' that Santa Claus or Invisible Pink Unicorns exist, then they exist regardless of what anybody else has to say about it.