View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 06:07 PM
Experiencer

Seems like I should be able to go back to the 80's

This is just a random thought of mine (stemming from watching Back to the Future recently ). I've always totally loved the 1980's. Everything about it. I'd basically fit in perfectly well in 1985. While we were at a garden store today, I glanced up at the garden gnomes on a shelf, and saw that they were holding signs which said "LOL", "OMG", "Yo!!!!!", etc. Oh, man. My comment to that was, "I'd like to live in a decade where the garden gnomes didn't say 'LOL'." Which spurred the thought of, why would I be born with such a fascination and love of a decade which I supposedly cannot ever visit? Now, I have no idea if time travel exists or not (I'd love it if it did), but I just can't help but wonder why I would be so fascinated with a time that is long gone and not visitable?

And this isn't just an 1980's question, just a general one. A friend of mine would fit right into the 1940's. Most things that people have been interested in that seemed impossible at the time have been invented (airplanes, trains, telephones, electricity, internet, etc), so shouldn't time travel eventually be invented in some way, as well? Otherwise, what's the use of the fascination?